Berliner Weisse DISASTER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupert130

Reaction score
I made my 1st BW back on 4/18.
Recipe as follows:
BW 1 recipe pic.jpg
BW 1 recipe pic 2.jpg
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.006
-I did full volume BIAB mash and used direct heat to move between rests.
-4/18 Pitched Lacto on brew day @ 85 F and held @ 85 F for 4 days
-4/22 Cooled to 70 F on day 5 and pitched ale yeast, placed in basement @ ambient 58 F. Actual ferm temp never went above 66 F after initial cooling in basement. SG: 1.041 Taste: Milky, slightly tart, "sourdoughy", and sweet.
-4/29 SG: 1.014 Taste: Tart, dry, slightly soapy
-5/05 SG: 1.006 Taste: Tart, dry, slightly soapy
-5/10 SG: 1.006 Taste: Tart, dry, slightly soapy. Bottled in 750mL swing tops with Brett B in the bottling bucket.
-8/06 Aroma: Hot dog water Taste: Moderate lactic sourness and soap

Has anyone else had this issue with soapy taste in their Berliner Weisse?
Does anyone have insight as to what it could be?
My own supposition is that it has to do with the hops and mash hopping.
So far there is no noticeable flavor or aroma contribution from the Brett B, is it possible over the next 3-6 months to see the brett clean up some of this awful flavor? If not, this may be a dumper. The soapy flavor is so overpowering in such a light flavored beer that it is undrinkable.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I am mid-Berliner (it's on a Brett secondary) that I used wild bugs from grain to sour and it had a flavor I was calling plastic, but it's not far from soap. Otherwise fairly grainy/sourdoughy. I'm pretty sensitive to off-flavors and it's hard for me to handle, so I'm hoping the Brett helps age it out or balance it. My wife thought it was subtle. No real answers but I can update to let you know how it goes. Also, last night I tasted that flavor for the first time in a commercial sour, St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck. With such a tart foreground and the funk from the Brett, I thought it added an interesting aged quality to the beer. Here's hoping...

Dead yeasties sometimes have a soapy flavor

After a lot more research and thought, I think you may be right. The lacto may have lowered the pH so much that the WY1007 was very stressed at the time of pitch. If stressed enough I may have gotten a lot of dead yeast. This is not where my thoughts initially turned because I had such an apparently healthy ferment. Huge krausen and tons of turbulence.

Fuuuuck, I think the same happened to me with a Gose. Also used Brett Brux and Wyeast Lacto. I'm not 100% sure the off flavor is from dead yeast rather than the coriander, but ugh, the soapy aftertaste sucks. Could it be a weird brett/lacto flavor clash? If so, is there any way in hell it'll clear over time?

Back