Bent my kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Reaction score
My new BIAB kettle fell of the sink where it was drying Saturday. At first glance, it looked fine, but I realized yesterday that the top is bent to the point where my lid won't fit on. Since I use a steam condenser system in the garage, this won't work. It is obviously flattened some where I'm guessing it hit, and spread out 90 degrees to eather side of that. It doesn't look bad, but it's enough to where the lid won't fit.

Does anybody have any suggestions for bending it back? I'm thinking of cutting a 2x4 to the diameter of the interior portion of the lid, ramming it in the flat side, and trying to tighten a ratchet strap around the circumference of the kettle.

How bad is it? Picture? You can find the "wide spot" with a tape measure across the center point in various rotational positions. Mark the two opposing sides that are furthest apart. Put one mark on the floor and push down on the other mark. Measure again. Push again. There's a pretty large tolerance between the lid and pot so it doesn't have to be perfectly round to sit flat.

@Bobby_M gave you good advice. That is the easiest way to correct it. I will add, with each attempt to bend it back into the correct circle, try to fit the lid on so you can gauge your progress. Bend it back till the lid fits properly.

Back