Benefits of a 90 min boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesehed007

Reaction score
At the beginning it says lakefront recommends a 90 min boil with first hop add at 60 min.... Thanks for the reply! Cheers. .. Edit.. Just above "Kit inventory"

Heh, sorry about that, I'd skipped ahead to the procedure section, where they not mention 60 minutes... I find it strange they'd recommend a long boil like that... I'm a bit intrigued now, hopefully someone more knowledgable chimes in :)

KepowOb said:
Heh, sorry about that, I'd skipped ahead to the procedure section, where they not mention 60 minutes... I find it strange they'd recommend a long boil like that... I'm a bit intrigued now, hopefully someone more knowledgable chimes in :)

No worries. I'm about 30 min from flame out... So we'll see how it turns out. Cheers!

I imagine they did not get different recommendations from Lakefront for all grain and extract, the rest of the instructions proceed with a 60 minute boil.

But if you're boiling for 90 minutes (with the lid off) wouldn't that drive them away? If I am wrong (which is highly possible) why would you use such a long boil for en extract recipe?

Boiling with the lid off or partially off will allow DMS to escape. 90 minutes is a long boil especially beginning with 2.5 gallons of water. Hope the OP posts back on the results.

Pardon my ignorance, but I just want to make sure I'm getting this right ...

DMS is dimethyl sulfide, right?

Pardon my ignorance, but I just want to make sure I'm getting this right ...

DMS is dimethyl sulfide, right?
You are right. Here is a link to Palmers book about dimethyl sulfide.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7-2.html
When I boil I have the lid partially on to reduce the amount of heat necessary to maintain a good boil. I wipe the condensation from the bottom of the lid so it does not drip back into the beer.

I've moved to 90 minute boils. I like the results hat I get with them. I just add more water before the boil to compensate. I'm boiling from about 7.5 gallons and ending with 5.

Here's the reply I got from Northern Brewer today .. Guess we'll see how it turns out 4-5 weeks or so. Thanks for all the replies!

Hi Bruce,

The large volume of wort will generally have a darker color than smaller samples will show in a glass. That being said, the ninety minute boil is meant to increase kettle caramelization leading to a deeper wort color & increase in malt flavor intensity. I'd hold out hope & taste a sample after primary fermentation is complete. That kit typically needs 3-4 weeks of aging in secondary or extra time spent in the bottles to yield a beer with a balanced, but hoppy, flavor.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back