Belle Saison Tastes like Green Jolly Rancher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoWBrewer

Reaction score
I made a pretty standard Saison with mostly Pilsner and rye malt with the Belle Saison yeast. It was in the fermenter for 1 month and finished at 1.001. It clearly has a massive amount of acetaldehyde. I am trying to figure out the cause. I have read that acetaldehyde can be bacterial, anyone have that experience?

No one replied, but I decided to update the thread in case anyone else runs into this issue. I re-brewed a beer with the Belle Saison with exactly the same results. This time I decided to carbonate it. After a two weeks of conditioning/carbonating in the keg the flavor changed significantly and was rather pleasant, not green apple. I think this is just a normal flavor produced by the yeast. I prefer the yeast character of the WLP Saison III, but since it is not available year around the Belle will be my new fall back.

I used to pick up acetaldehyde all the time in my primary. I would transfer to a secondary for a dry hop and a week later, the sample had virtually no signs of it, let alone after bottling. I don't get it anymore but it was strange how it cleaned up so quick after taking it off the yeast cake.

Back