Belgium saison...what's it supposed to taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As soon as I collect all my nitro pieces I’ll be tapping my maple RIS. Brewed in February

I recently used Omega's Saisonstein Monster and it produced a fantastic dry hopped saison!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/omega-saisonsteins-monster-oyl-500-yeast-anyone.664206/

This strain allows you to ferment at lower temperatures than the dupont stain

I mashed low @ 148 degrees for 90 min
I pitched the yeast @ 68, then let it rise naturally to 72 for first 48 hours, then let it rise naturally up to 78 for the rest of the duration in the primary (two weeks total)

I yielded 96% attenuation! OG = 1.057, FG = 1.002!!!

This is honestly the best beer I've ever brewed. Am blown away by this yeast especially with the hop combination I used. This works very well for a hoppy version of the style.

It took a few weeks after kegging to get a traditional saison character. The first few weeks there were some bubblegum esters, but those went away after 3 weeks. The beer then tasted remarkably like a dupont. Couldn't beleive how close the profile was especially with the ease of use on this strain compared to dupont's yeast.

Here's the recipe. I also made a massive starter: 400 Billon Cells per 5 gallons

Keep in mind this a 10 gallon batch, so you would want to cut the recipe in half.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunshine Rainbowbeam
star0.jpg

All Grain Recipe

Batch Size: 12 gal Style: Saison (25B)
Color: 3.9 SRM
Bitterness: 28.0 IBUs Boil Time: 90 min
OG: 1.057 Mash Profile: Mash @ 148.5 for 90 min
FG: 1.002 SG
ABV: 7.3%

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
19.63 gal New York, NY Water 1
7.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90 min) Misc 2
1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 90 min) Misc 3

26 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 4
2 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 5
1 lbs Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 6

7.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Boil 90 min) Misc 8
1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Boil 90 min) Misc 9
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min) Misc 10

1.00 oz Magnum [12.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 7

5.00 oz Motueka [7.0%] - Flame out
3.00 oz Belma [9.8%] - Flame out

2 pkgs Saisonstein’s Monster (Omega #OYL-500) Yeast 13

5.00 oz Motueka [7.0%] - Dry Hop 0 days Hops 14
3.00 oz Belma [9.8%] - Dry Hop 0 days Hops 15

Notes
Mash in @ 148.5 for 90 min

FERMENTATION SCHEDULE: Day 1-4: Pitch at 69. Set freezer to 72+1 for initial fermentation (if fermentation slows...let free rise up to 75) let free rise to 78 after initial ferment complete dry hop after two weeks

Last edited:
IMG_6550.JPG

Ok...this thing I made is growing on me...
Kicking back with it while making a slightly scaled back Newcastle that’s gonna get 2# of honey post krausen

Instead, you could add a little glucoamylase to your mash, and wort!
One of our club's brewers has been doing that to all his beers now, since he brewed a Brut last year. Surprisingly none are overly dry, actually.

Speaking of Diastaticus, WY3711 is allegedly known for digesting fermenters, if left to it. ;)

I made my first Saisons with 3711 because of its reputation for attenuating despite low temps--I didn't have precise control yet. I've also made session beers with it mashing at 160, using munich, amber malt, and special B which finished at 1.004. Also, BelgIAN [;)] Imperial Stout that also finished that low. I've found Belle to behave similarly in all these respects, and recognize a certain tartness sometimes.

I agree that Dupont (3724?) has a better flavor profile, but many say it will stall at 1.030 if you don't ramp temp up toward the end of fermentation. I've only used it since getting my temp control set up, so no issues with that personally. Alternatively, as mentioned before, you can use Dupont and then add a little Belle or 3711 to make sure it finishes, which it will.

Now I want to brew a Saison! I was thinking of possibly doing a Dubbel, but maybe a Saison instead. I have a smidge of D-180, and a full pouch of D-90, so maybe a dark Saison for the winter. hmm...

I made my first Saisons with 3711 because of its reputation for attenuating despite low temps--I didn't have precise control yet. I've also made session beers with it mashing at 160, using munich, amber malt, and special B which finished at 1.004. Also, BelgIAN [;)] Imperial Stout that also finished that low. I've found Belle to behave similarly in all these respects, and recognize a certain tartness sometimes.

I agree that Dupont (3724?) has a better flavor profile, but many say it will stall at 1.030 if you don't ramp temp up toward the end of fermentation. I've only used it since getting my temp control set up, so no issues with that personally. Alternatively, as mentioned before, you can use Dupont and then add a little Belle or 3711 to make sure it finishes, which it will.

Now I want to brew a Saison! I was thinking of possibly doing a Dubbel, but maybe a Saison instead. I have a smidge of D-180, and a full pouch of D-90, so maybe a dark Saison for the winter. hmm...

Use the omega saisonstein... Its a hybrid of the two. Tastes like dupont and ferment s like belle

I've got 3724 on hand (I think) and I have temp control, so it's as easy as pushing a button.

Thanks for that tip, though!

Back