Belgian yeast that won't make sulfur smells?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooden

Reaction score
Got a question: looking for a yeast that can be used in a Belgian Witbier I plan to brew with my dad at his house.

It will be his first homebrew, and his SWMBO's first experience with homebrew in the house as well. SWMBO is one of those gluten-free types and has no interest in drinking any beer, let alone making it.

The plan is to brew on the deck, outdoors, and then let it ferment in the basement. Basement stays a steady temp, but no fermentation control.

One of the chief concerns/objections to the homebrewing process is "WILL iT SMELL?!?!" I HAVE HEARD THAT IT SMELLS!!!!"

Personally, I haven't experienced any concerns with smell, but I have only brewed IPA's and pale ales. This will be the first Belgian.

I know that some yeasts can throw the sulfury smells (which I know will clear out and am not personally concerned about) but am concerned about that in their house, that one bad smell brew could kill the whole thing for my dad. She would complain and complain and complain.

Are there any belgian yeasts that are not gonna throw the sulfur flavors? The kit we have (Brewers Best Caramel Wit) came with T-58.

If this yeast is ok, awesome. If not, and gonna cause issues, please suggest something else. Or if there are factors that will affect it such as temp (beer will be brewed in basement that is about a steady 65 deg) let me know.

Thanks,

Wooden

It's been a few years since I used T-58 but from what I remember you should be fine.

I've used a wide variety of Belgian yeast and the only one I would avoid (in your case) is Wyeast Forbidden Fruit. It scared me the first time I used it, but makes a really good Belgian quad.

It's been a few years since I used T-58 but from what I remember you should be fine.

I've used a wide variety of Belgian yeast and the only one I would avoid (in your case) is Wyeast Forbidden Fruit. It scared me the first time I used it, but makes a really good Belgian quad.

Thanks Kee!

Maybe that's why it's called "forbidden fruit!" Haha!

So far, so good! I got an MMS from the Mom with evidence of new fermentation, and there were no complaints or $&*#%!*+ about smell! (Which is amazing because she has a better sense of smell than a bloodhound sometimes)

Cheers! Btw the forbidden fruit sounds fun! Might do one like that at my house :-D

Thanks Kee!

Maybe that's why it's called "forbidden fruit!" Haha!

So far, so good! I got an MMS from the Mom with evidence of new fermentation, and there were no complaints or $&*#%!*+ about smell! (Which is amazing because she has a better sense of smell than a bloodhound sometimes)

Cheers! Btw the forbidden fruit sounds fun! Might do one like that at my house :-D

WY3463 has worked out well with me on the 3 batches I have done with it but it is very weird. Besides the god-awful smell during primary the krausen can drop quickly and then be slow to clear (it's a low flocculating yeast). Almost like an infection. But the final result is a very clear beer with great Belgian character. I will be using it again.

^^ when I was making the starter is definitely had a methane type smell to it. Now its in the fermenter I get lots of sulfur.

The blow off surprised me, even though I was expecting it. I had it at 65F to 2 days and activity from the blow off was slow, i started to ramp the temp and soon as it got to 67F, Blam! yeast everywhere.

The smell was massive sulfur like, after a few days the smell of esters and belgian candi is coming through. lovely

Back