Belgian Wit fermentation time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brewed up some Belgian Wit from Biermuncher's recipe the other day. He mentioned 2.5 weeks from brew day to glass. How long is typical fermentation?

I've been going with the 1-2-3 strategy, though I don't use a secondary. Just 3 weeks in primary and then 2-3 in keg before tapping.

Do wit beers have a shorter fermentation time?

Thanks. Cheers.:mug:

Fermentation time depends on multiple things. Pitch rate, temp and health of yeast are the biggest. The beer will be done, when it's done. Leave it for 2 weeks then take a hydro measurement for 3 consecutive days. If it's the same reading each time, it's done. If not, leave it be for another week and repeat.

Wheat beers in general are better when drank young, IMO, especially Wits. Usually when I make my Wit, it's in the fementer for 2-3 weeks depending on what else I have going on, then in the keg, force carb and drink in a day or two from there.

I doubt it will be done and ready to drink in 2.5 weeks. I usually drink my wit beers after about 2 months and they are plenty tasty yet.

Even though fermentation may be complete doesn't every beer benefit from an extra week on the yeast to allow them to clean up? Or is that only for certain styles?

Back