Belgian White.. Never Ending Fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyrixxal

Reaction score
I have a Belgian that I cooked up 2 weeks ago. Everything went well during the mashing except it did get stuck a few times. So when I went into the boil, it wasn't perfectly clear. My assumption was that if I needed to, I could just rack it to a secondary.

The first time I made this recipe, it covered my basement floor (and when the airlock clogged.. Ceiling) with yeast sludge. It was soo bad, I had nothing left. So this time, I but it into a 15 gallon Demi John. It used up 100% of the head space. After 1 week, I still had some visible fermentation action. The goo at the top mostly subsided. And I had about 4" of yeast cake. So I racked it and it started fermenting full speed again. It has gone a full week. I have 2 more inches of cake and foam on the top. I stole a sip to make sure it's ok.. And it tastes phenomenal.

Is that normal?

Its OK for your witbier to be cloudy so I never get as concerned with material going into the boil with this style. What was your OG and what temperatures are you fermenting at?

1.06 and change. ( that's what my notes stated... That far into a brew any my hand writing suffers a little)

1.06 and change. ( that's what my notes stated... That far into a brew any my hand writing suffers a little)

1.060 is pretty high for a witbier, if you've fermented down to around 1.016 or less then you might think about cold crashing it and calling it finished.

That's what my wife is telling me to do. Cold crash and keg...

I was hoping to bottle it. Do you think it is safe? I was just reading that some Belgians are bottled with champagne corks, heavy bottles and cages because of this.

What yeast?

Some strains take awhile to finish. My Saison with 3724 took 4 weeks to FG at 1.004 and I've got 3711 at 3 weeks now still going.

Be patient:)

What yeast did you use? Was it WY3944?

Some Belgian yeasts can do some crazy stuff. I had one that looked like a lava lamp for a three full weeks. The times I used 3944 the krausen took forever to drop.

What yeast?

Some strains take awhile to finish. My Saison with 3724 took 4 weeks to FG at 1.004 and I've got 3711 at 3 weeks now still going.

Be patient:)

If you finish that 1.060 to 1.004 you'll have a 7.35%ABV witbier on your hands, better call it a weizenbock!:D

Back