Belgian Tripel under pitched yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Add yeast or leave it alone

• Add another vile

• leave it alone

Results are only viewable after voting.

JM-brew

Reaction score
Brewed my 1st belgian and obviously I checked Mr Malty for my pitch rate AFTER the fact instead of before. I made a 1 liter stater with 1 vile wlp 500 that was on my stir plate for about 24 hrs. According to Mr Malty it should've been 2 viles or a bigger starter. I didn't actually pitch until about 2 am this morning, so I'm wandering if I should throw in a 2nd vile of yeast or just let it go?

P.S. the krausen has already formed

if you already have active fermentation, no reason to pitch more yeast

I think you'll be fine. That yeast Has been known to perform well with under-pitching. You may get more banana and ester flavors. In fact, when I use that yeast I usually under-pitch.

Belgian yeasts are usually a beast. You'll be fine you just might get impatient. Belgians get MUCH better with age so "let it go, let it GOOOO."

As this is your first with Chimay yeast, don't be disappointed if it doesn't taste great at three weeks. It will age out to be great, and if it's a high OG/ ABV, it may take several months

Make sure you keep the temp under control. That yeast can get hot pretty quickly. I don't think you'll have an issue with attenuation but as others have already said this yeast benefits from some aging. I would let it condition for three months before opening a bottle. Cheers.

Yeah, definitely. My basement has been holding about 67 degrees consistently. I have a mini fridge I use for cold crashing I'm going to convert to a fermentation chamber. Just need a heating element for it. So hopefully I can get it running between tonight and Saturday

Opened a bottle a couple days ago. The beer is starting to come around nicely. Finished to 1.008 so about 11.5% ABV. A little higher than I thought but not boozy or nail polish-like. I got more of a spicy, estery characteristic out of the yeast, not a lot of phenolic notes which I'm very happy about. Carbonated nicely, but it took about 6 weeks. I try to post a pic next time I open a bottle.

Latest posts

Back