Belgian Tripel Cane Sugar???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When should I add the cane sugar to my Tripel

• When I am at 15 min left in boil

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Once fermentation slows in about 3 or 4 days add it as a slurry

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Mike COusineau

Reaction score
Brewing my 10th batch and considering Winter is coming...I figured I might as well get out of the summer low ABV mode and into the Tripel scene. Below is my recipe and was wondering when I should be adding my cane sugar and the amount of sugar if I dont want a super dry tripel. Below is my grain bill for reference. I will be mashing around 148 for 90 min and boiling for 90 min because of the amount of pislner in the recipe.

13# Belgian Pilsner
.5# Flaked Oats
.5# Belgian Aromatic
.5# Beligan Biscuit
1# Cane Sugar.

As far as the sugar I have been reading that it should be around 10 to 15% of grain bill and currently I am looking at around 7 or 8%. Should I up that or keep it as is considering I dont want a super dry tripel?

Thanks guys!!!!

Those proportions look good to me. I think yeast health and fermentation conditions will have as much to do with attenuation as sugar here.

So looks ml like a couple of people are saying after 3 or 4 days...so do I just boil one gallon of water, and then dissolve the sugar and make a "slurry" let cool to fermenter temp and pitch very lightly?

If you want to add it at the end of primary fermentation, I would go the simple syrup route. 1 part sugar to 1 part water by volume. I think 1 gallon is overkill.

I typically add sugar, to saisons in my case, at the end of the boil.

So I figured I would post a follow up. I ended up adding it around 10 min left in the boil as I did use a Yeast Starter and within 6 hours the bubbler was producing about 80 bubbles a minute.

Thanks again for the help guys!!!!

Back