Belgian Tripel Bottle Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennywisest

Reaction score
Could anyone help me with a bit of a sanity check? I am looking to bottle carbonate a Belgian Tripel, and will be using Priming (corn) Sugar. Because these beers are going to be gifts I am kind of psyching myself out (worrying about bottle bombs).

My first issue is what temp do I use to determine priming calculations. The beer fermented at 65F for a few weeks then I added it to a keg tub with an aquarium heater and brought it up to 75F. It is now sitting back down at 65F. I've read quite a bit of contradictory information on what temp to use. Is it the highest the beer has ever been at? The highest temp it fermented at? The current temp? So on and so forth.

My other concern is after looking at the results of several priming calculators. Some say to carb Tripels to 3.0 vol of CO2, others say 1.9 - 2.4 vol. I am going to use 22oz Bombers, which I believe max out at safely holding 3.0 vol of CO2 (please correct me if I'm wrong). SO I would rather stay on the safe side, but with an adequate carbonation.

Sorry for the pretty basic question, I think I just got to the point of info overload. My last few batches all were carbed a bit off (too high or too low but never dangerous levels) just looking for a refresh on basic knowledge.

Is it the highest the beer has ever been at? -Yes this

I would use 3/4 of a cup if I was you to get 2.8 vols assuming you have a 5 gallon batch. Or if you want to be even more accurate and go by weight 5.5 oz, or 155.5 grams should do it. :mug:

Thanks Lolo! I was leaning towards 2.6 - 2.8 vols and think I just needed a second opinion.

Yea, I think you'll actually be quite pleased with a normal to moderately high carbonation level. No need to go over 3. 2.8 would be great.

Latest posts

Back