Belgian Strong - FG seems high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sancycling

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions or comments on why my FG is so high, or at least it seems to me.

Batch Size: 2 Gal

Fermentables
Pilsen Malt 4.4lb
Pale Ale 1.1lb
Munich .66lb
Piloncillo .55lb
DME 5.0 oz (used to adjust OG, compensating poor efficiency)

Hops
Hallerthauer @60min 4.2% 0.6 oz
Goldings @30min 6.4% 0.2 oz
Chzech Zaaz @3min 3.6% 0.3 oz

Mashed at 154°F for 60 min.

OG: 1.095

Pitched Safbrew T-58 1pkt 11.5g @ 65°F

Fermented in primary for 3 weeks @ 65-68°F. FG. 1.022 (I didn't measure gravity to verify fermantation progress... My batch is too small to waste beer to check gravity).

So FG seems too high. Is this normal?
- I thought that adding the Piloncillo, FG would be lower as it is almost 100% fermentable.
- I pitched more than 3 times the needed yeast
- Could my high mash temp be the reason?
- Should I have left it more time fermenting?
- Are my fermenting temperatures too low?

I appreciate the input and ideas.

Thx

You mashed it too hot for it to dry out properly. With huge Belgians you almost need to do a step mash or you will never get the attenuation you want.

Looking for suggestions or comments on why my [...]
- I thought that adding the Piloncillo, FG would be lower as it is almost 100% fermentable.
- I pitched more than 3 times the needed yeast
- Could my high mash temp be the reason?
- Should I have left it more time fermenting?
- Are my fermenting temperatures too low?

I appreciate the input and ideas.

Thx

1) it will dry the beer out some but not quite as much as cane sugar which is pure sugar and does not have any unfermentables in it like the pilloncillo does.
2) overpitching can sometimes cause a stall but unlikely
3)not that high. there was a study done that showed 153 for 45 minutes produced more fermentable wort than 148 for 45 minutes.
4) probably, big beers almost always need more time on the yeast.
5) also probably, big beers like it when you bump the temp up after a week or so and again after another week, started at 68? bump to 72 after a week and 75 after another week. after the initial reproduction phase the higher temps aren't going to cause too many esters or fusels.

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'll never know what really happen but these are things that I'll look into more carefully on my next big beer.
1) Reduce Mash temperature or do a Step Mash
2) Increase the fermentation temperature after a week or so and then increase again.
3) Patience. Wait a week or two longer before bottling.

Every batch I do, I learn new things. Good thing is that all my beers have been pretty good.

Back