belgian stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrea93

Reaction score
hi! here there's my extract recipe for a belgian stout:

og: 1071 ibu:50 srm:39

recipe for 5 gallons:
9lb (81%) liquid light extract
1lb (9%) crystal 150L
9oz (5%) special b
7oz (4%) chocolate
3oz (1%) roasted barley

1oz chinook 12.8% a.a 60 min

YEAST: wyeast 3787 or 3522??

the percentage of ingredients (in relation with weight) isn't very precise because is the translation of an italian recipe with grams.

my goal is to have a balanced beer between roasted malts and the belgian part (special b and yeast). what do you think about malts? and about yeast? is better 3522 or 3787 to be not overpowered from roasted malts?

I just kegged a belgian stout. It was a partigyle from my RIS, but I used Wyeast 1581. It really has a Belgian/phenolic flavor. I even fermented at a low temp to keep it to a minimum (64*)
Mine has plenty of roasted malts, and this overpowered the malts. I have never used either of those yeasts personally, but If you want a big Belgian bit to it, 1581 will probably do it for you. It still has plenty of roasted malt bite, but with a belgian kick

thank you for your advice MNSmitty, but i live in italy and here 1581 isn't available so i'm looking for an alternative..

wow! Italy! Thats really awesome. Thats on my list of places to see someday.

After looking at the description of each on the Wyeast site, I think of those 2 I would go 3787. It seems like that might produce more fruity flavors, which to me would compliment the special B and dark roasts. 3522 seems to emphasize the spicy aspect more, which I would think might fight the bitterness a bit for attention. I thnk keeeping your ferm temps in check would be the key to either yeast though.

Back