belgian pale ale recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdogg

Reaction score
so i just tried the belgian pale by Flat Earth brewing co. in st paul, mn, and i loved it! however ive never brewed a Belgian. anyone have any tips on building a BPA recipe? heres the info on their website:

"Our first offering from Flat Earth Brewing Company is this complex Belgian-style pale ale, brewed with Belgian malts that yield a copper-red hue with hints of raisin, cherry and toast. The moderate yeast character marks itself with flavors of clove and spice but finishes dry to leave you thirsting for more. Our Belgian-style session ale is brewed to be enjoyed with a variety of foods, but try it with steamed mussels, a rack of lamb or a chargrilled steak.

* O.G. 1050
* SRM 14
* ABV 5.20
* IBU 25"

its not a ton of info, but its a place to start. i dont need to make a clone, but i would love to have something similar on tap for this summer.

also, any other ideas for warm weather session beers? i have a couple of pale ales and a kolsch in the pipeline. thanks!

Sounds like a nice beer. I go with mostly pils/pale, maybe some Munich or aromatic for added maltiness, sounds like they’ve got a little Special B in there as well. Go easy on the hops with a small addition near the end (either Hallertau or Saaz would work well). Yeast strain is up to use, I really like 530/3787, but you might contact the brewery to see what they use. I’d keep fermentation cool, Belgian Pales tend to have a more restrained yeast character than most other Belgian styles.

I just tapped this one and it's pretty good. I don't normally do extracts but I wanted something quick to build up some yeast for a Triple:

Belgian Pale Ale (15 gallon batch)
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.006
IBU: 28
SRM: 7.3

11 lbs DME Extra Light (4.0 SRM) 48.89 %
2 lbs LME Wheat Bavarian (4.0 SRM) 8.89 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Pilsen (1.8 SRM) 10.00 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.0 SRM) 10.00 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM) 6.67 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 6.67 %
1 lbs Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) 4.44 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar Rocks, Clear (0.5 SRM) 4.44 %
3.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) 23.5 IBU
2.25 oz Spalt [5.60 %] (15 min) 4.5 IBU
1.00 tsp Cardamom, Ground (Boil 5.0 min)
1.50 tsp Sweet Orange Peel, Ground (Boil 5.0 min)
2.50 tsp Coriander Seed, Ground (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (Wyeast Labs #1214)

I just finished reading Brew Like a Monk. Great book because I am interested in Belgin beers.

Here is what is suggested.

Used Pilsener malt
Limit specialty malts higher than 40L to less than 7%
Use sugar 10-20% You can use regular sugar or I have used Turbinado for a little more complex flavor.
2/3 of the bittering hops at 60 and then the other 1/3 at 30.

You can easily build off of these guidelines.

Back