Belgian IPA recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cm02WS6

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on an upcoming Belgian IPA recipe. I've read that starting with a solid American IPA and using Belgian yeast is a good way to make this style, so that is what I've tried to do. This is what Stone does by turning Stone IPA into Cali-Belgique, so my recipe is loosely based on the many Stone IPA recipes out there. It is not necessarily meant to be a Stone clone, but rather my attempt at a solid American C-hopped IPA.

Batch size: 5 gallons
Specialty grains: 0.6 lbs Crystal 20
Fermentables: 6.25 lbs Golden DME (half early, half late addition), 0.6 lbs Dextrose sugar, OG~1.058
Hop schedule:
0.8 oz Columbus (60 min)
0.6 oz Centennial (15 min)
0.6 oz Centennial (10 min)
0.6 oz Centennial (5 min)
1.25 oz Centennial (dry hop)
0.6 oz Chinook (dry hop)

Yeast: I am planning on splitting this up into two fermenters, one with Wyeast 3522 (Belgian Ardennes) and the other with White Labs 575 (Belgian Blend). Pitch around 68 and rise to 75 over first week.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

I've read that the belgian yeast doesn't really come through flavorwise in a high IBU American C hopped ale, especially something piney like Chinook. That said, I've never done it before and would like to try.

To me I am thinking an American-C hopped pale like New Belgium's Ranger would be a little muddled with a belgian yeast but that is just my thinking.

For what it's worth here is link to New Belgiums Belgo recipe, they dry hopped with Cascade amarillo and williamette

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/new-belgium-belgo-269744/

Latest posts

Back