Belgian ideas for a dude who doens't really dig Belgians

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
Next month is Belgian month at the brew club. I've brewed a few Belgian beers before, they came out well, but I just don't really like Belgian beers. I guess I have the option of not brewing the style of the month but it's nice to participate in what's going on.

I've brewed a blonde abbey a couple times and a dark strong once. Does anyone have a recipe or any ideas as to what I can brew? I just need to get the juices flowing... I'm thinking about doing a half batch, 2.5 gallons, since I don't really want 5 gallons of a style I don't really like. I'm more of an American ale guy... stouts, hoppy beers, rye beer, ambers, etc...

Thanks for the suggestions! :mug:

I don't like them either so my advice would be to make a blonde or a wit, ferment it cooler, and dryhop it with citra or galaxy to compliment the Belgian phenols. The few dryhopped Belgians I've had, have been good.

I don't really dig belgians either but I love me some belgian IPA. Just throwing that out there, I realize that's not a very popular opinion.

I don't really dig belgians either but I love me some belgian IPA. Just throwing that out there, I realize that's not a very popular opinion.

A belgian IPA could be a good option. Maybe mash a little high and use some candy syrup to dry it out a little and use el dorado as a whirlpool/dry hop to play on the candy aspect of it?

How about. a tripel? They are pretty basic and derive most of their flavor from the yeast. If you use a yeast that is milder flavored then you might find that fits what you are looking for. Try WY 3522. Not as strong of the Belgian flavor as some of the others.

see if you can get your hands on some WLP515, it's quite subtle with it's belgianness ;) and should suite your preferred styles (hoppy amber) quite well.

J.

If you end up making a Belgium Wit, I would highly suggest using Indian Coriander seeds versus the standard European seeds you find everywhere. Especially if you plan on going with the fruitier hops like citra or galaxy.

meet at Brew LoCo?

think Rob is a member of all the local brew clubs; Hogs, NoVA Homebrew, HOWL, West 50

Yah, Brew LoCo, indeed.

And yes, Rob, is a member and gets around when it comes to brew clubs!

see if you can get your hands on some WLP515, it's quite subtle with it's belgianness ;) and should suite your preferred styles (hoppy amber) quite well.

i second this. i just picked up 3 packs of WLP515, antwerp ale. use it for my belgian amber/palm speciale clone. it takes a little bit to condition so don't judge it when it's too young but very tasty when it does turn that corner.

I do a very light but big Golden Strong.
14lbs plisner
1 lb Vienna
1 lb carapils dextrine
2 lb candi sugar (clear) crystals
1 oz perle and fuggle at 60 min
1 oz fuggle at 5 min

Wyeast 1388 1 qt starter fermented at 72°

1 oak spiral soaked in pinot grigio after fermentation for 2 weeks

It'll change your mind on belgians

I do a very light but big Golden Strong.
14lbs plisner
1 lb Vienna
1 lb carapils dextrine
2 lb candi sugar (clear) crystals
1 oz perle and fuggle at 60 min
1 oz fuggle at 5 min

Wyeast 1388 1 qt starter fermented at 72°

1 oak spiral soaked in pinot grigio after fermentation for 2 weeks

It'll change your mind on belgians

I'm too lazy to plug this into Beersmith atm... what's the OG on this recipe?

A trappist single could be up your alley. Pale, hoppy, and could have a very subtle Belgian character depending on your choice of yeast and fermentation parameters.

Latest posts

Back