Belgian Golden Strong Ale 8.5 % two-stage fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistyboy

Reaction score
hi guys!

im brewing a Belgian Golden Strong Ale 8.5 %, i heard that is better to rack it a carboy after primary for a beer that is strong in alcool,what do you think?

I do. I also "lagered" my BGSA in carboy. Brought the temp from upper 70's down to 31F by ramping down 4 degrees per day on my digital controller. I believe it sat at 31 for 3 weeks once it got to that temp. Helped clear the Duvel yeast and the result was pretty good. Unlike most, I did not re-yeast at bottling time and they still carbed up fine.

I brewed a Belgium Golden Strong a few months ago using Belgian Abbey II yeast and left it in primary for 5 weeks, started at 65F and then ramped it up to 70F at day 10 and let it sit at 70 for the rest of that time.

It came down from OG: 1.088 to FG: 1.014 and that was with 9% flaked barley and Abbey malt. That's almost a 10% ABV beer! The key is in the yeast you use. Real Belgian yeast will ferment out just fine if you give it time in primary. Everytime you rack you risk contamination/oxidation. And that is not something you want in a beer that needs to be aged for best taste.

Back