Belgian Candy Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie63

Reaction score
Not sure if this would be the proper place for this question but I am having issues whil making Belgian Candy Sugar. Problem is it will not harden it seems it is but then after being left in a cool dark place it all melts in together, Ive bought the temp up to 300 and still doesnt work any ideas?

this is a recipe i have had good success with:

1 cup of plain white sugar + 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice.

melt sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat with juice already added.

i usually measure out what ever how many cups is a pound and add the lemon juice 1 tsp @ cup.

just cook longer for amber or dark.

here's the link:
http://www.brew365.com/technique_candi.php

gd:mug:.

Not sure if this would be the proper place for this question but I am having issues whil making Belgian Candy Sugar. Problem is it will not harden it seems it is but then after being left in a cool dark place it all melts in together, Ive bought the temp up to 300 and still doesnt work any ideas?

for every pound, add 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 tsp of DAP, bring it to temperature and corresponding color, cool down with additional 1/4 water, bring back up to hard crack (260)

for added depth of flavor, replace part of your cool down liquid with equivalent amount of steeped spice mix or orange juice (citric acid) - to me, the orange juice has a softer effect than utilizing lemon or lime. for example, someone might want to consider a coriander spice mix with orange juice in your candi sugar - it is a great alternative to adding soft hints of flavor to your beer, especially if you don't have experience. I've used pumpkin spice steeped in gold french toast coffee for my cool down liquid and my pumpkin saison tastes awesome - never had to add spices to boil or to bottling bucket - just my experience

I have made the syrup similar to gizmodog's description. But I just add it to the wort as its cooling down, I don't try to recrystallize it. Benefit is who cares if it doesn't harden, you are going to reuse it right away. The problem is that you have to make the syrup on brew day instead of doing it in advance.

The stuff does taste good though!

I have made the syrup similar to gizmodog's description. But I just add it to the wort as its cooling down, I don't try to recrystallize it. Benefit is who cares if it doesn't harden, you are going to reuse it right away. The problem is that you have to make the syrup on brew day instead of doing it in advance.

The stuff does taste good though!

I have to plan my brew day a week to two weeks in advance when I see a clear Fri, Sat, Sun and put in on the family google cal (my family is that crazy) - that's why I prefer hard sugar - I can make it bulk when I'm in the mood for a brew session, but only have a couple of hours during the week - its a nice holdover - drinking a home brew, formulating a future recipe, and making some sugar:drunk:

EDIT: The more I think about it, this is my wife's favorite part of the hobby - formulating, drinking, and getting free samples of tasty sugar - what a mooch!

Back