Belgian Beer Mash Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDVDuber

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, Looking to make my first Belgian this weekend. Thinking something in the Flying Dog Raging B***h realm. Couple questions.

1) As I read other posts about making Belgian beers - it appears that folks are just using their first runnings and not sparging? - am I misunderstanding?

2) If you do only use first runnings - can you make a "small beer" from the sparge? If so what type? Pilsner?

3) It also appears as if the mash is done at the lower end of the temperature range to avoid conversion to unfermentable ingredients - is this true?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You can use your second runnings. I don't know what kind of OG you're shooting for but I don't see why not. Also, I guess you could do a parti-gyle if you wanted, those are always fun. And yes, mash lower.

P.S. Flying Dog Raging B**** is amazing

Thank! - This will be a PM so no Parti-gyle - though I've been toying with using that method for a 2011 Barley Wine Followed By a Bitter or Pale Ale session beer

The first time I had Raging it took me about 1/2 of a bottle to get used to it - now it's one of my favorites.

Back