Belgian ale with Home made Syrups

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
So, I finally got around to making some syrups at home, which can be used for cooking, but also brewing.

I made two: one really bright, red syrup and one really dark made with a combination of Dark Muscovado, brown cane sugar and white beet sugar.

I want to make a simple Dark Belgian ale using Bohemian Pilsner, Special B and some Pale Chocolate malts. I was thinking 96% Bohemian Pilsner + 2% Special B + 2% Pale Chocolate and adding home made syrups to the boil.

Has anyone tried this before? How did it turn out?

Dark Belgian syrup or sugar is the key to Belgian Dark Strong - very cool that you made your own.

The only amendment I’d make is that dark syrup is the key for some Dark Strong ales.

It definitely helps in homebrew versions of the style because of many of the generally accepted practices for wort composition and fermentation of this style in the homebrew setting.

I’ve never made my own because in the end, considering the total cost of the raw materials and my time, it’s not worth it to me, but I always applaud those who take the time and make their own.

So, I finally got around to making some syrups at home, which can be used for cooking, but also brewing.

I made two: one really bright, red syrup and one really dark made with a combination of Dark Muscovado, brown cane sugar and white beet sugar.

I want to make a simple Dark Belgian ale using Bohemian Pilsner, Special B and some Pale Chocolate malts. I was thinking 96% Bohemian Pilsner + 2% Special B + 2% Pale Chocolate and adding home made syrups to the boil.

Has anyone tried this before? How did it turn out?

I would personally ditch the chocolate malts and up the Special B. I don’t see roasted malts contributing anything favorable in the Dark Strong Ale.

I will follow the advice and ditch the Pale Chocolate malt and up Special B to 4-5%.

This is how the syrups look like in their respective glasses:

20190304_081828.jpg 20190305_160205.jpg

The red one is syrupy and while I was making it, I added 1 lime, 1 lemon and 1 blood orange with pulp, skin, rind, etc., cut in quarts. The syrup has a nice, mellow orangey/citrusy note. The dark one is less syrupy and more like a thick molasses. It didn't cost that much as I had some leftovers sugars from when I made some desserts. I think I spent around 90 minutes for the dark syrup. I will be brewing soon and hopefully, remember this thread and post back with some taste results, when ready.

I recently did a Dubbel with homemade dark syrup (and turbinado). It was great! Until I primed with cherry concentrate, now it's just ok. Oh well...

I think ditching the chocolate malt was a good decision. Let us know how the syrups work out!

So I sampled the dark syrup ( which actually turned into hard rocks ) and it's too bitter. So the dark syrup was not a success. I will probably keep a few ounces to add some bitterness, but not more.

I am currently trying to make a syrup from dried dates, raisins and plums. I'll post when I have sampled it. :) / fingers crossed

I will follow the advice and ditch the Pale Chocolate malt and up Special B to 4-5%.

This is how the syrups look like in their respective glasses:

View attachment 615950 View attachment 615951

The red one is syrupy and while I was making it, I added 1 lime, 1 lemon and 1 blood orange with pulp, skin, rind, etc., cut in quarts. The syrup has a nice, mellow orangey/citrusy note. The dark one is less syrupy and more like a thick molasses. It didn't cost that much as I had some leftovers sugars from when I made some desserts. I think I spent around 90 minutes for the dark syrup. I will be brewing soon and hopefully, remember this thread and post back with some taste results, when ready.
I might just be overly sensitive, but I used 5% special B in my last dubbel, and I absolutely hated it. Burnt marshmallows are only good around a camp fire IMO.

If I ever use it again, I will use it at 2%. I make candi syrup at home as well with DAP, and I plan to replace the special B entirely with more dark syrup. Maybe some caramunich as well? Not sure, but be super careful with Special B it is the most flavorful special malt I have ever used.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply.

I personally don't hate or have anything against Special B, even in higher amounts. It really depends on taste and of course what you put it against in the recipe. But I agree that is a very potent and flavourful specialty malt, that should be used in small amounts, especially if it's your first time using it.

Back