Belgain Triple Hodge Podge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike8228

Reaction score
So I have a lot of left overs from brews and I was trying to come up with something to do with it. The closest I think I can do is a Belgian, and potentially a triple based on my calculated OG. What do guys think? Am I crazy or does this sound possible? This is what I’m planning roughly, maybe a couple tweaks after more research and/or input.

3lbs Light grains (steep for 20mins at 160F)
*I’ll have 1.5 Oz of Carmel 90L so I’ll throw it in too.
2.2 lbs Light DME at boil
1.2 lbs Amber DME
2 lbs of Belgian Candy Syrup (late boil)
2.5 lbs Wildflower Honey (late boil)
.5 lbs snowberry honey (late boil)
.5oz Cascade at boil
2oz Hallertau late boil to end
mangrove jack m31 yeast start 68 early mid 70s finish four about 4 weeks and bottle conditions for 4.

I am thinking the honeys because I see honey often in Belgians to ‘smooth’ it out and to raise the fermentable sugars.

When I plugged this in it was loosely 18 IBUs, 1.080 FG and 1.010 OG which put me near 8-8.5. So this has the potential for a triple, with a slight amber color due to the Wildflower honey. I thought with the M31 and the Wildflower, should be a nice fruit/floral taste.

Thoughts?

This would be what I consider my first true recipe, not so much by design but what do I do with all this stuff? I did buy the yeast to kick it more into the Belgian category.

This is very similar to a tripel that I did a few weeks ago. I sampled it a little young but it is showing great potential. My batch of M31 yeast took mine down to 1.004.

This is very similar to a tripel that I did a few weeks ago. I sampled it a little young but it is showing great potential. My batch of M31 yeast took mine down to 1.004.

Did you use honey? That’s the part I’m a little iffy on. Not sure if that and the candy syrup is too sugary rather than malty sugars. If anything this might be more like a Belgian Braggot a mead/beer hybrid.

When I do Triples I like to put the candi syrup in after the fermentation is at high K. Also in my system I do a 10 min whirlpool to sanitize my pump and chiller, so that's when I add the honey.

Back