Beginners system questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomokka

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I just bottled my second extract batch and decided that his hobby will stick so went ahead and ordered equipment for an all grain biab system.

I decided to start with a very simple setup that consists of a 38,5 liter thermopot and a camco 3500 watt ULWD element. I also bought all the necessary parts to connect the element to the pot as was done in electric brewery website. The only part i have received so far is the pot, but hopefully the other pats will also arrive soon.

I have a few questions regarding this setup:

I was wondering would you recommend me to buy / build a false bottom for the system?

I am also already thinking about future updates :). I have seen that many people have build an automated ebiab system with pumps and a pid. I was wondering at what point should you move to this kind of setup or is there actually any point in moving at all from a simple setup?

I dont think you need a false bottom with biab, unless you are adding a recirc pump. As far as upgrading, it's all about what feels right for you... for me, i went temporarily insane and built a 20gal eHERMS that i haven't even been able to use yet because i upgraded before i should have. Use your current system for a good while and upgrade only the aspects that cause the brew day to be more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm not sure what else your system has but really the only reason for using a false bottom in a BIAB system that I can see would be to keep the bag off of the bottom of the kettle so it won't scorch if you add heat for a step mash.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have seen that many people have build an automated ebiab system with pumps and a pid. I was wondering at what point should you move to this kind of setup or is there actually any point in moving at all from a simple setup?

A PID controller is not absolutely necessary but it makes you brew process much easier. And you can build a simple one for less than $100.

Thanks for your replies.

Yeah I think i do at least a couple of brews with the new system before starting to build something more complicated.

The only thing i am a bit worried about is the mash temperature. Even though thermopots are supposed to be insulated they probably arent as effective as coolers. Will probably have to use something to insulate the pot further to keep a constant mashing temperature so that i dont have to use the element and burn the bag with it.

Back