Beginner's Experimental: Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XiaoHu

Reaction score
So - just set up my 3rd batch, and felt to play a bit more than just following the standard recipes...

Quick recap:

1st batch: Munton's Gold Continental Pilsner - off the pack, added handful of hops pellets, which was a give-away from my supplier. Turned out real pleasing, with that extra shot of bitterness in the finish, which all of my guinea-pig buddies actually liked a lot. Retrospectively, i call it a safe bet, good, but nothing fancy. ABV turned out lower than indicated (4.5%): 4.2%, but what the heck.

2nd batch: Munton's Gold IPA - same here, only add-on was residual pellets. Recalling the below expected ABV, i added 500g off-the-shelf sugar to pitch target ABV, but also because i was too generous on the water-fill, turned into 3.9% ABV, due to OG 1042 / FG 1010. so a bit puzzling...

So for my 3rd shot, high time to get a bit more creative.
Again my choice was a Munton's Gold - you already might have figured, I am a believer-by-nurture of the Reinheitsgebot. :)
I use a 15L fermenter, fitting just nicely in my wine chiller for temperature control (a must in tropical Singapore), so here's my brew-of-the-day:
1 can (1.5kg) of Munton's Gold Imperial Stout on 12L mineral water. Dumped in 1kg of liquid honey to drive up the OG from 1040 to 1054 (did I just kill my RG religion? :eek:), which should yield 5.8-6 ABV. Left out any adding of hops, since a stout should be quite hops-saturated already (?). Also put my hopes on the honey to add a twist to the final flavor (we'll see that, given i read so many diverse views on when and how to add honey vs sugar...)
Now sitting on 1st round fermenting, yeast is doing its job just fine, so far so good. Update on outcome to follow in 1wk+...

Any thoughts/views/opinions welcome :tank:

Cheers, XiaoHu

Back