Beginner with wyeast handling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leezer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just received the grains and yeast for my first attempt at biab. The yeast is wyeast 1450 smack pack. Never used this before. Looks like I won't be able to brew this for a couple weeks and wondered best way to store the yeast till then. Put in refrigerator? Or room temp ok?

Also I assume the grains will be okay stored at room temp for a couple weeks?

Definitely keep the yeast in the fridge. If the grains are sealed in an airtight package, they'll be fine at room temp.

Since you've got some time until you brew, I suggest you look into how to make a starter with your liquid yeast. It will result in a better finished product.

Agree with @kombat, make starter. I make mine the evening before, homemade stir plate, it's always going great by the time I pitch 18 hrs later. Others prefer making it week in advance to give time to finish on stir plate, then set in fridge 3 or so days to have yeast settle out, then decant wort off top prior to pitching--which is good if you're doing large starter (with a 1L I typically make I just dump it all in).

Thanks for the quick replies.

Definitely keep the yeast in the fridge. If the grains are sealed in an airtight package, they'll be fine at room temp.

They are not in air tight container, just a bag with twist tie. Refridge for that too then?

@balrog and @kombat
thanks, I'll look into making a starter. Had kinda been thinking that may be the thing to do.

Thanks for the quick replies.

They are not in air tight container, just a bag with twist tie. Refridge for that too then?

It's probably okay, but I might toss the whole thing into a gallon Ziploc bag, push all the air out and zip it up. Would a box of Wheaties stay reasonably fresh sealed up with a twist tie for a couple weeks?

@Leezer, I just keep mine in the shipping box, twist tied bag, in the cool basement. YMMV, depending on whether other basement dwellers use same said box to prop up hot heavy guitar amps or whatnot. It doesn't hurt to be more careful as @JonM suggests. I don't know what aged, milled, stale malt tastes like, but I figure the weather in NE is not Summer humid which would be the worst case, yet it's not quite Winter dry now is it?

@Leezer, I just keep mine in the shipping box, twist tied bag, in the cool basement. YMMV, depending on whether other basement dwellers use same said box to prop up hot heavy guitar amps or whatnot. It doesn't hurt to be more careful as @JonM suggests. I don't know what aged, milled, stale malt tastes like, but I figure the weather in NE is not Summer humid which would be the worst case, yet it's not quite Winter dry now is it?

No, its not. Who would think we'd have 70 degree days in MA in Nov? And of course that's when my yeast gets delivered. Although I'll take 70 degrees over the snow that I'm sure we'll get here eventually. So, I'll put in cellar away from guitar amps and take some extra care with the packaging too as suggested above.

I got some Wyeast delivered from RiteBrew (WI) in the midst of Summer. It arrived swollen but not scary tight swollen. I refrigerated for a couple weeks until I was ready to brew, made a started Friday night, pitched Sat mid-day, no off smells or tastes from the starter, and the London Pride Clone #2 was fine. As well you know.

Back