Beginner question(s), fermnation, OG, aroma, etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fungi

Reaction score
This is a total noob question but how do I know when my beer is 'ready' to be bottled? I'm working on a Pale Ale (partial extract) and the OG was 1.052, and now it's currently at 1.018.... I transferred (its been in the primary for 8 days) it to the secondary so I can get something in my primary... the time between 'hiccups' is greater than 2 min... i dunno what my target specific gravity is... is it done fermenting... its pretty clear... it didn't smell as hoppsy as i was hoping... smells a lil sweeter (which makes sense cause I added a pound of honey to boost alcohol... but maybe I sacraficed body/bitterness?

clearly i'm still trying to try to figure this out... any thoughts, comments, suggestions...

Thanks!!!!

OG 1.052 Current 1.018

You bottle when fermentation is complete. The best way to tell is have two gravity readings with no change(Although i don't think most people do this). Airlock activity isn't really a great way to judge. You're also jumping the gun a bit to get it bottled. Usually waiting a bit longer in terms of primary and secondary fermentations is only going to help your beer. Personally I try to primary for 3-4 weeks. Then put my beer in the secondary and leave it there until I have space to bottle it or keg it. Which is usually another month.

Your beer would probably have fermented out a bit more if it was still in the primary. It may or may not do much now, since when you put it in a secondary you separate it from a good bit of yeast that was in the primary fermenter. I'd recommend leaving it there for at least another 2 weeks or so and then bottle.

I wouldn't hold the smell to too high of a standard right now either. Your beer has to mature some more before its ready for drinking. It's also going to be a bit different cold and carbonated.

Yeah air lock activity was low... but i would occasionally get these yest balls which would shoot up to the surface.... linger at the surface then fall back to the bottom....could i repitch some yeast? or would that further screw things up?

Leave it be, make the other beer and come back to this one in 2 weeks. Time is what it needs, imo.

Latest posts

Back