Beginner question regarding SS BREWTECH UNITANK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avandss

Reaction score
I am just planning out my setup, planning on getting the 7 Gallon Unitank, my question is after the few weeks of fermentation, if i drain the yeast using the bottom valve, (pressurise the tank if need be) and add a chiller to keep the beer cold. can i store it in the unitank for 1-2months? as in use it as a kegerator to fill up my128 OZ Ukeg

While I do not own one (wish I did), I do believe that one of the things the unitank offers is that you can use it as a brite tank and carbonate and serve directly from the tank. To me the only downside would be that you are tying up your expensive fermenter that could be making more batches concurrently.

i know, but as a family man with limited time, and limited space, this is a hobby and i would like to make a fresh batch every time i run out... i can use the lower spout to fill the Ukeg (the tasting spout..)

i am hoping this idea can work, i dont want kegs as storage

i know, but as a family man with limited time, and limited space, this is a hobby and i would like to make a fresh batch every time i run out... i can use the lower spout to fill the Ukeg (the tasting spout..)

Yes it will work great. I occasion do the same with my spike unitank. The only thing to keep in mind is the sample port is not mounted low enough to fully drain the unitank so you will have to Mount the sample valve in the racking port if you want to drink exclusively from the unitank. Cheers

I sample carbonated beer off my tank all the time to determine when it’s ready to package.
Since it is under pressure, you will need to get a sampling coil to drop the pressure (same function as tube length in a regular keg setup).

You may also wish to look into a spunding valve to shorten your time between ready beer if you intend to make every batch fresh.

I sample carbonated beer off my tank all the time to determine when it’s ready to package.
Since it is under pressure, you will need to get a sampling coil to drop the pressure (same function as tube length in a regular keg setup).

You may also wish to look into a spunding valve to shorten your time between ready beer if you intend to make every batch fresh.
I recently purchased a Spike unitank with gas post and was curious about using a spunding valve.

Can you elaborate on what you would use it for? It's just to release pressure at a set psi, right? Is there a benefit to being under the 10-13psi threshold the tank holds during fermentation or maturation?

I pour fully carbed beer thru the sample port directly without any need for a coil. Does the ss unitank use the same little ball valve sample port the ss conicals use? If so I can see it being a issue compared to my cf15 with a real sample port. Cheers

I recently purchased a Spike unitank with gas post and was curious about using a spunding valve.

Can you elaborate on what you would use it for? It's just to release pressure at a set psi, right? Is there a benefit to being under the 10-13psi threshold the tank holds during fermentation or maturation?
The spunding valve helps if your fermenting under pressure as 15psi could arguably be to much pressure during active fermentation and additionally the 15 psi safety valve has been known to let all the pressure out when it triggers so you might prefer to use a spunding valve at 1-13 psi and only use the prv as intended for safety. Lastly if your using the your unitank to the fullest and carbonating prior to racking you will need the spunding valve on the receiving keg to avoid excessive foaming. Cheers

Back