Begginging Recipies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
Ok. So I've made a couple all grain 1-gallon batches off recipes online and now I want to try my own. What I don't know is where to go to figure out basically how to start doing that. I can go to my local brew shop and just start throwing things together but then I risk waiting a month for a beer that tastes like ****.

Any help is appreciated.

I use beer alchemy in my iPhone. It allows me to formulate a recipe and compare it with style guidelines to see if I'm within acceptable style limits not that that really matters. But some recipe generation software is recommended try beersmith, beer alchemy, there's quite a few others I can't recall right how.

I have been playing with the recipe calculator on Brewersfriend.com. Pretty legit

I personally have used both BrewBuilder, which is simple and free but limited in its capabilities, and BeerSmith, which is more complicated but very complete. I can't really give an opinion of BrewTarget, s I haven't really used it, but it is supposed to be very good, as is Brewer's Friend. I suggest trying a few different ones to see which suits you. In addition to the software, I would recommend the books How to Brew as a beginning textbook followed by Designing Great Beers for the topic of recipe creation. I would also look at the Classic Beer Styles series books, for advice on specific styles. Finally, I would say just read as many recipes as you can, and see what you find helpful or appealing about them.

Back