Befuddled by Store Bought Apple Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowden

Reaction score
Getting ready to transfer my second batch of Graham's English Cider to secondary (great recipe if you haven't tried it!) and made an interesting discovery regarding processed apple juice in the USA.

I purchased a small bottle of Giant Eagle brand apple juice to top up the secondary. When I got home I noticed that the bottle was stamped with "Concentrate from China"....what?!?

A few google searches later and was amazed by what I found (although maybe I shouldn't have been seeing how low cost Chinese goods dominate every other corner of the shelves at Wally World). Chinese juice started flooding the market in the 90's and put lots of small American farmers out of business.

It must make financial sense or they wouldn't be doing it, but importing apple juice seems to be on the same level as importing corn. Boggles my mind!

The other 10 gallons of juice that went into the batches was Indian Summer brand, which is made from American apples. Guess I'll be sticking with that juice for that recipe from here on out.

The more you know...View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419171776.774482.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I"m with you on this, @Snowden I am skeptical of the safety of any food stuffs coming out of China. They have almost no food safety regulations according to what I've read and there have been too many instances of unsafe products coming from them. I read an article recently that China is now one of the world's largest exporters of farmed shrimp - heavens knows what you're really ingesting when you eat any produce from China.

Back