Beerworks President's Sierra Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
Hi All,
Bit of advice please - I pitched yeast into the Sierra kit too hot @ 26c on sunday.
By Monday am, however, there was vigorous fermentation with healthy krausen but when I returned last night this had died down and there seemed to be a bit of a rotten egg smell (seems to have gone)This is the 1st time I am using bottled spring water and not tap water.
The gravity has dropped from 1.054 to 1.020 so there has been some activity but I wonder if it has stalled and the yeast stressed due to pitching temperature.
I have upped the temperature to 20c
Should I throw in some more yeast?
Any advice appreciated

Hi All,
Bit of advice please - I pitched yeast into the Sierra kit too hot @ 26c on sunday.
By Monday am, however, there was vigorous fermentation with healthy krausen but when I returned last night this had died down and there seemed to be a bit of a rotten egg smell (seems to have gone)This is the 1st time I am using bottled spring water and not tap water.
The gravity has dropped from 1.054 to 1.020 so there has been some activity but I wonder if it has stalled and the yeast stressed due to pitching temperature.
I have upped the temperature to 20c
Should I throw in some more yeast?
Any advice appreciated

It's only been 3 days so I would leave it alone . Some yeast will put off that scent . What yeast was it , was it an old pack ? I usually dont even check my gravity until about 19days then 21 then package if it's done. Some package sooner but I like letting mine clean up a bit. On your directions what does it say for predicted FG should be ?

It's only been 3 days so I would leave it alone . Some yeast will put off that scent . What yeast was it , was it an old pack ? I usually dont even check my gravity until about 19days then 21 then package if it's done. Some package sooner but I like letting mine clean up a bit. On your directions what does it say for predicted FG should be ?

Looks like the scent has gone which is good. The yeast is a west coast ale yeast 20g. No reason to think it's old, it came with the kit.
Suggested fg is 1.010 or below from recollection.

OK, the hydrometer reading should be reasonably accurate. Refractometers require some math to get an accurate reading if alcohol is present. Check it in another week and see it if the gravity is close to the target FG. If you can raise the temperature up a few degrees to the high end of the range for the yeast now that most of the fermentation is done it may help too.
In the future try to pitch the yeast at the low end of the temperature range for the yeast and if possible raise it in the later part of fermentation. Yeast activity can slow down if they are exposed to dropping temperatures.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back