Beerswap 2007: Hopfan's beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopfan

Nice Beaver....
Reaction score
Back from Myrtle Beach and hoping to get paid in a month or so. Sooooo, my beers are on the way out tomorrow. I've included my Redhead Ale which is an irish red inspired by my cousin in Kilkenny. I was trying for a mild red which was on the low end of hopping for this style and the recipe is posted below. I've also included a bonus bottle of my Burnt Cookie Bitter. I won't bother posting that recipe, because it is one that I couldn't repeat if I wanted to (long story) but a few of my hophead buds like it so I figured I'd put it out there to see what you think.

10 Lbs Pale 2-row
1 Lb Crystal 10L
12 Oz Roasted Barley
1 Oz EK Goldings-60 min
.25 Oz EK Goldings-10 Min
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale (1L starter)

Drank this one last night with the dudes.

Appearance
Average head that lasted a while. It was rocky and frothy with excellent lacing. Good head is a good start, I always say...
Body was a bit cloudy with a few particles here and there, something to chew on. Color was a great red. I really liked the color.

Aroma
Not much for malt aroma but the hops stood out and were kinda perfumery and piny.

Palate
Medium body that felt creamy with some alcohol hints. Lively carbonation with a sort-of astringent finish.

Flavor
This one was pretty bitter but not really the hoppy bitterness, something else, maybe a bitter malt. The flavor hung around a bit, was moderately sweet and acidic and heavily bitter, maybe something "burnt"? I detected something a bit like vinegar at the finish.

I enjoyed this beer. It was one I couldn't stick a style to but still enjoyed it. I would order another at a restaurant. I rated it a 23.

Thanks for the generous review. The cookie bitter was one of those brews where a lot went wrong, but after aging quite a while, settled down to something I liked. It's best right now as the hops are starting to fade(way over hopped on this one).

I don't think there is such a thing as 'over-hopped' and, of course, my opinion is right, right?

Anyhoo... I drank that last Redhead Ale and here is the goodness...

Appearance
Spare white head that diminished quite fast. Maybe due to the bottle but? Not much for lacing either, which I presume was my glass. The brew was a bit cloudy but nothing that bothered me. Very nice amber color.

Aroma
Light malt presence with average hop appearance. No yeast or off-flavor either. However, I could smell what I consider a red ale aroma, which I figure is probably the yeast character. I just couldn't put specific words to it myself.

Palate
Medium body with thin texture and soft carbonation. There was a bitter and almost astringent feel that lingered in my tongue a bit after swallowing.

Flavor
Drinking left a flavor that hung out for just an average time, not very sweet and kind of acidic. This was a pretty bitter beer. There was also a bit of vinegar hint that lingered.

Overall, I liked the beer but it has a tad bit too 'something'. I think it was an off-flavor, but I don't know the standard off flavors and what they taste like so maybe I'm just out of my mind.

Thanks. I struggled to place it as well. Next revision of this will have Munich to help with the body. I think that the temp may have been too warm during fermentation. Next time, I'll try to keep it at 67.

I've brewed a couple batches last summer that fermented in the mid to high 70's and they had hints of a funky flavor. Through the winter, I struggled to get any to be higher than around 64 to 67F during fermentation and have settled on this range. Aside from the primary taking a few days more, I really like the results. I think the yeast does a better job when it has more time. I used to be in a rush and would try to push the temp up but not anymore. My problem now is trying to fit all those full kegs in a fridge that will only hold five. Serious problems here... :)

Irish Red Ale

Aroma: Mild aroma with slightly spicy tones. More malt than hops aroma.

Appearance- cloudy,amber color. Not much head, and it disappeared quickly. There was a minimum amount of lacing in the glass. The appearance is actually better than that sounds- it looks good in the glass, actually a nice color.

Flavor: Hint of spicy "something" but otherwise fairly mild. I can't pin down that spiciness- a combo of mild astringency with mild cloves? Not sour or acidic at all, actually pleasant but I suspect it may be an off-flavor and not intended for this beer. I still think it's drinkable and enjoyable!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and just slightly undercarbed.

Actually, I like this beer. I have never used the Irish ale yeast, so I didn't know what to expect. I do get some "spiciness" that doesn't seem to go away, and it seems to be in the roof of my mouth. I wonder if it's stressed yeast? but overall I still like it. I love the label, and wish I would have thought of it first.

Aroma: Balanced malt and hops aroma, I detect more malt than hops (although you said it was overhopped?).

Appearance- Very nice pour and settled with a nice creamy head. Some lacing on the glass. Very dark beer.

Flavor: There is molassas-y aftertaste but it is not sweet. There is a rich malty, roasted taste with little noticeable hops presence. Slightly bitter- that is the "molasses" aftertaste I mentioned. I really like this beer! The carbonation was just right, and it very drinkable.

Thanks for sending me your beer to try! Both were very different than beers I usually have and I enjoyed them both.

Latest posts

Back