Beerstone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninoid

Reaction score
Are those stains inside my fermenter is beerstone?

I threat this with OXI cleaner and hot water, but these patches are sporadic again as soon as the surface is dry.
I've seen it for a while, but I did not have any problems with the beer fermented inside that fermenter so I did not care too much. I use No Chill, so if there are some bacteria in these spots, they probably kill them higher temperatures of wort.
fermenter spots.jpg

I agree, seems a film of some sort left over from cleaning. Beerstone actually resembles, well, a stone. Beerstone are deposits that are very difficult to remove.

I am concerned about the dimple with the recessed part (white) as shown in the photo. This is an excellent location for bacteria to hide just waiting to infect the new beer.

That's not beerstone. How do you rinse after cleaning? You need to rinse with hot water as well. It looks like a film left behind by the cleaner.

It immediately disappears as soon as it is washed with water, and it reappears when it is dry.

It seems to me that it is not a beerstone because, as I have read, the beerstone is difficult to remove, and it is pure white, and this stains is more brown in color. When I touch with finger I do not feel any deposits.

I agree, seems a film of some sort left over from cleaning. Beerstone actually resembles, well, a stone. Beerstone are deposits that are very difficult to remove.

I am concerned about the dimple with the recessed part (white) as shown in the photo. This is an excellent location for bacteria to hide just waiting to infect the new beer.

Dimple is plug for tap. I do not use the tap because there is always a deposit in it.

Looks like cleaner. To know for sure hit it with something acidic like star san, citric acid solution, vinegar, etc.

If it disappears then you knouw your cleaner isn’t being rinsed off completely.

Always rinse cleaner with hottest water you have available. If it’s something in your water that causes the cleaner to always leave that residue then just make a point to always do an acid rinse after cleaning.

It's possible the white film is a light layer of carbonates.
If you use One Step or OxyClean it contains percarbonate. In hot water hydrogen peroxide is released along with carbonate ions in solution. Beerstone is mix of proteins and mineral, so it will foam in the presence of hydrogen peroxide as the proteins dissolve.
A good soak with vinegar or StarSan should help if the white film is a lime deposit.

Back