BeerSmith3 Brew Steps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm using BS3, and under the water tab it breaks out the Water Adjustments by Mash and Sparge, but when I go to the Brew Steps tab it shows just as "Water Prep" for the full volume. Is there a way to get the Brew Steps print out to break it down to "Mash Water Prep" and "Sparge Water Prep"?

The water prep shows the additions for the initial infusion. Unfortunately, Brad has not updated the brew sheet template to include the sparge mineral additions. The only way around this is to create your own report with those values showing.

The water prep shows the additions for the initial infusion. Unfortunately, Brad has not updated the brew sheet template to include the sparge mineral additions. The only way around this is to create your own report with those values showing.
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought I was overlooking a setting someplace. I'll see if I can make a custom report as you suggest.

I'm using BS3, and under the water tab it breaks out the Water Adjustments by Mash and Sparge, but when I go to the Brew Steps tab it shows just as "Water Prep" for the full volume. Is there a way to get the Brew Steps print out to break it down to "Mash Water Prep" and "Sparge Water Prep"?
I use BS3 and my brewsteps break down my salt additions between mash and sparge. Do you have the "hold sparge salts until boil" button checked and they are showing up under the boil section?

I use BS3 and my brewsteps break down my salt additions between mash and sparge. Do you have the "hold sparge salts until boil" button checked and they are showing up under the boil section?
No that is not checked under the water tab. All additions show under a "Water Prep" step, which is the second main heading. The first heading is "Prepare for Brewing".

No that is not checked under the water tab. All additions show under a "Water Prep" step, which is the second main heading. The first heading is "Prepare for Brewing".
Are you using a profile in the BS3 database or manually entering? If you are manually entering from EZ water or other program, you will need to manually select which step to use which addition. using the profiles that are loaded in, it should separate them. Here is the brew steps for my brew tomorrow and it splits the additions up. Not sure what setting you are missing - sorry.

Water Prep
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
7.08 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Water Agent 1 - -
3.98 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
2.05 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 3 - -
1.93 g Baking Soda (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
1.01 g Chalk (Mash) Water Agent 5 - -
Mash or Steep Grains
Mash Ingredients
13.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 6 85.5 % 1.04 gal
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7 6.5 % 0.08 gal
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8 3.2 % 0.04 gal
Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 19.94 qt of water at 162.8 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 2 min 168.0 F 10 min
  • Sparge Water Acid: None
  • Fly sparge with 5.66 gal water at 168.0 F
  • Add water to achieve boil volume of 8.50 gal
  • Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.059 SG
Boil Ingredients
0.75 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil] (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9 4.8 % 0.06 gal
3.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 10 144.5 IBUs -
8.36 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Boil) Water Agent 11 - -
4.70 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Boil) Water Agent 12 - -
2.42 g Calcium Chloride (Boil) Water Agent 13 - -
2.28 g Baking Soda (Boil) Water Agent 14 - -
1.20 g Chalk (Boil) Water Agent 15 - -
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 16 27.9 IBUs -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 17 30.9 IBUs -
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 18 - -
2.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 19 39.0 IBUs -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 20 12.0 IBUs -
  • Estimated Post Boil Vol: 6.25 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.084 SG
Cool and Transfer Wort

So it is actually showing the additions separately, what confused me was that the full water amount is shown under water prep, with only the sparge additions. The mash additions are shown with the fermentables. It would be nice to have the water volumes and additions under separate "mash" and "sparge" water prep headings. Thanks for the help.

So it is actually showing the additions separately, what confused me was that the full water amount is shown under water prep, with only the sparge additions. The mash additions are shown with the fermentables. It would be nice to have the water volumes and additions under separate "mash" and "sparge" water prep headings. Thanks for the help.
Yeah, it can be confusing. If you look further down the sheet under Mash Steps (below Water Prep and Mash Ingredients), it will give you the volume and temp needed to mash based on your equipment profile. Then right before the Boil Ingredients, the sparge volume is listed there. I have started to add my mash salts at the same time I add my grains and my sparge additions directly in the boil.

Happy Brew Year!

Latest posts

Back