Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis K. Jansen

Reaction score
So, I downloaded the trial and I'm playing around with it. I'm attempting to enter the recipe I'll be brewing this weekend, but for some reason it doesn't have the Pilsner (US) nor the Munich (UK) grain available to add. I'm sure I'm just looking in the wrong spot, but hoping someone can help get me up to speed on the software. If it's good, I'll definitely be purchasing.

Right, but for some reason it isn't showing american pilsner (or Munich UK when I search for Munich)

upload_2018-1-17_11-20-46.png

I want to add Candi syrup, but in Beersmith, it's listed under grains. I get that it's fermentable, but won't this alter the water volumes adding it to the grain?

It's a steep learning curve, but that's usually how it is with powerful tools. Once you learn the ins and outs, and how to manipulate it you'll end up also doing your taxes with it.

Can you guys help clear something else up? On the printout from Beersmith, there are the following readings:

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Measured Original Gravity 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity 1.010 SG

Why does it have a "measured gravity" section? What are those numbers actually representing? I brewed my beer and got a pre-boil of 1.046. Since that matches the "measured OG" from above, I'm wondering if that's that means. If so, that's a weird name for it.

Interesting, found the "measured" part on the recipe design screen where you can enter stuff:
upload_2018-1-21_15-30-44.png

So, looks like it shows measured, not estimated on the print view.

The measured fields are where you put into BeerSmith your actual readings when you are brewing. Prior to brewing the numbers do not mean a thing. They typically come up populated with whatever values were in the template you created the recipe from.

So the screen shot you attached is a user defined area. You can select what fields you want to see in that section by clicking on that "select fields" box. The "measured gravity" (either OG or FG I think) is determined by your inputs on the "Session" tab from your actual readings once you've finished brewing/fermenting. The Est. gravity is simply based off your recipe (amount of grain, mash temp, yeast type etc).

Sorry Oginme , that'll teach me from hitting post after walking away for a while...:drunk:

So the screen shot you attached is a user defined area. You can select what fields you want to see in that section by clicking on that "select fields" box. The "measured gravity" (either OG or FG I think) is determined by your inputs on the "Session" tab from your actual readings once you've finished brewing/fermenting. The Est. gravity is simply based off your recipe (amount of grain, mash temp, yeast type etc).
Right on totally makes sense now I didn't see those fields as editable when I created the recipe and they showed up on my print out so I wondered why a measured field would be included on a recipe print out.

On a side note, depending why you were printing the recipe page, there might be a better way to see the info you need. If you you want a copy during your brew day, your better off using the "brew steps" button, then printing. If you want something to take to the store with you to buy supplies, hit the "add to cart" button at the top, then go the "shopping list" under the "view" tab. You may have already figured that out, but those were a few items it took me a bit to figure out by the trial and error method....

Back