BeerSmith - Yeast Starter Question/Calculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewswithshoes

Reaction score
So i've been perplexed for awhile with how BeerSmith calculates yeast derived from a starter, so wanted to pose a question to the smart folks on here.

Does the OG of the starter wort really not make a difference in cell count produced from a starter, as BeerSmith numbers don't reflect any cell count change when plugging a higher or lower OG of the starter wort. (i.e. regardless if i plug in a 1.020 or 1.040 for the starter OG makes no change in the overall cell count produced)

Is this right? I get that i would use less DME if making the starter (as that "oz" amount changes)

But if this is right, why isn't everyone diluting starter wort down even further from the typical 1.036 - 1.040 range.

Any information would be greatly appreciated in helping to explain this.....

I honestly don't even know why BeerSmith has a field for entering the OG of the starter as the model used doesn't take that into account in the slightest. Of course if you used wort with a lower OG you'd get a lower cell count, the mathematical model just doesn't know how to adjust for that, so why bother?

Latest posts

Back