BeerSmith to Recipe difference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

403Brewer

Reaction score
I'll preface this to saying I'm new to brewing, about 5 batches done and all turned out well, but never used the beersmith software to program a brew before. Anyways I've entered a recipe from the BYO 250 Classic Clones magazine and the ABV calculated is super low (2.3%). This is a Guinness Extract recipe that I'm doing. Can anyone suggest what could be the issue? The amount of extract in the recipe seems really low, 3.2 lbs total DME/LME for a 5 gallon batch. Thanks for any advice.

Yeah, 3.2 lbs DME in a 5 gallon batch is really low and will give you a starting gravity of less than 1.03. Depending on the finishing gravity, the ABV calc seems generally close, but the recipe seems wrong.

Guinness is a lighter gravity beer, but not that light.

Could it be a partial mash recipe? Maybe they intend on some gravity from mashed grains.

Ya it's a partial mash, about 1 lb of mash grain, 1 lb of barley , still comes out with a starting OG of 1.028. The recommended dme is light malt extract. Does beer smith take any gravity from a partial mash?

Partial Mash
1 lbs 6.1 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
9.9 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)
Boil
14.1 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
2.40 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
2 lbs 9.6 oz Light Liquid Malt [Boil for 15 min](3.0 SRM)

1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml]

Maybe partial mash isn't the best term for this, Extract with grain is probably more accurate

It includes base malt so it's a partial mash. Make sure you have partial mash selected in Beersmith not extract or it will not take into account most of those gravity pts.

That's a partial mash, but I come up with 1.033 OG for 5 gallons which is still pretty low. I think Guiness is a few points higher than that - enough to get it up to ~4% abv, anyway... Maybe some additional extract would be the answer? Maybe 2.5lbs DME and 1 lb LME - that gets the OG up to 1.040 for 5 gallons...

403Brewer said:
Partial Mash
1 lbs 6.1 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
9.9 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)
Boil
14.1 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
2.40 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
2 lbs 9.6 oz Light Liquid Malt [Boil for 15 min](3.0 SRM)

1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml]

Maybe partial mash isn't the best term for this, Extract with grain is probably more accurate

My brew app gives 1.038OG at 3.7%ABV for this recipe.

My brew app gives 1.038OG at 3.7%ABV for this recipe.

Yeah, I just noticed and was clicking back to this thread when I saw your reply, I undershot the DME by a full pound when I entered it :drunk: I come up with 1.042 at 5 gallons, or 1.039 at 5.5 gallons (you'd probably brew 5.5 gallons and hope to bottle 5 gallons)

It includes base malt so it's a partial mash. Make sure you have partial mash selected in Beersmith not extract or it will not take into account most of those gravity pts.

Wow ya I'm an idiot...had it set on extract. Thanks for helping out a rook with a rook question guys

Back