Beersmith split boil.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglysofa

Reaction score
When setting an equipment profile on beersmith, is it possible to set it up for split boil? I don't have a burner so I do full boils split between two pots, which results in more boil off.

Thanks.

It feels like I just answered this question... Setup two half recipes exactly the same with half of each ingredient in each batch. Voila, yer done.

Edit: Come to find out, I did just answer this question Here. It had to do with splitting up for fermentation, but the concept is the same

That's a good point, Curly. Partial boils would save the amount of equipment needed, just make sure you adjust your hops accordingly. Also, you can do a partial boil with a late extract edition, if you prefer.

I am doing doing all grain, first all grain batch was last weekend.

I'd love to get a burner but I live in an apartment where I can't just step outside and brew

I am doing doing all grain, first all grain batch was last weekend.

I'd love to get a burner but I live in an apartment where I can't just step outside and brew

If you have a big enough pot for a full boil, you can always supplement the stove heat with a heat stick. Lots of DIY threads on here to build one.

I'm used to doing a 2.5 boil and topping up to 5 gallons in the fermenter. Just got beersmith and I'm wondering how to enter a recipe that calls for a full 5 gallon boil and change it up to a 2.5 gal boil that tops up to 5gal in the fermenter? Any help is greatly appreciated.

If I have a recipe that calls for a 5 gal boil I think I need to create a recipe in BS with a 5 gal boil then somehow scale it down to a 2.5...not sure tho?

you guys are awful rough on the OP. if he is doing a split boil batch my guess is that he knows about other possibilities such as doing a partial boil, or getting a burner. Split boils aren't usually recommended to total noobs, and with all the hastle of it I am sure he would have a reason not to get a burner instead.

Just my $.02. I don't have anything actually helpful to add to this thread, and I am sorry for ramblin

Nothing I can do as of right now. I think if you just do a 2.5 gallon boil you'll be fine. My only concern would be hop utilization. I would suggest doing a late edition with your extract to get the best hop utilization.

you guys are awful rough on the OP. if he is doing a split boil batch my guess is that he knows about other possibilities such as doing a partial boil, or getting a burner. Split boils aren't usually recommended to total noobs, and with all the hastle of it I am sure he would have a reason not to get a burner instead.

Just my $.02. I don't have anything actually helpful to add to this thread, and I am sorry for ramblin

Check the dates. I answered this thread a long time ago, like ten days ago. IPA did the right thing and used the search engine and asked a similarly based question. OP has done his batch I'm sure and is busy watching his yeast do the cascade.

Back