Beersmith- simple brew sheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Someone on this forum, ages and ages ago, sent me a template they made for a simple brew sheet, with dryhopping. It left out all the stuff you don't need on the brewsheet, so that when you print it out, it fits nicely on one page.

Does anybody remember what I'm talking about?!?! I lost my equipment set up, and all of my files, on the "Great Computer Blow out of Christmas 2015", when I lost both my laptop and desktop in the same week.

If anybody has something like that already made up, could you please let me know? I'd really appreciate it!

It's not difficult to modify the reports in BS to make them the way you want them. I am sure someone here can create a report with any information on it you want.

This is actually something I've thought about doing myself, but never think of it until brewday, when I'm usually too busy to mess with it!

It's not difficult to modify the reports in BS to make them the way you want them. I am sure someone here can create a report with any information on it you want.

This is actually something I've thought about doing myself, but never think of it until brewday, when I'm usually too busy to mess with it!

Yeah I know- but it's a PITA for me. Someone made one exactly the way I wanted it, and sent it to me and it's now lost. I hate to redo it, if I can find someone who already did the work!

Yeah I know- but it's a PITA for me. Someone made one exactly the way I wanted it, and sent it to me and it's now lost. I hate to redo it, if I can find someone who already did the work!

That's true. If you can't find your original custom report I'm sure we can recreate it with a listing of what you want. I might dig into the custom report options again after lunch and see what I can come up with. I am always frustrated with the brewsheets that seem to go to 1.25 pages and a lot of the information could be left off or shown more efficiently IMO.

IIRC the format for the report is XML. Shouldn't be too hard to modify.

Hi Yooper. You can try this if you want. It does get everything on one page but there are a couple things I still don't like with it. Maybe one day I'll finish it but only having one page has made it usable enough for me. Just change the extension from bsmx back to htm, I had to change it to upload it. I don't remember what you have to do to get it show up in BS. If there is anything you'd like changed, let me know. I sometimes go days before logging in but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

View attachment ShortBrewSteps.bsmx

That's true. If you can't find your original custom report I'm sure we can recreate it with a listing of what you want. I might dig into the custom report options again after lunch and see what I can come up with. I am always frustrated with the brewsheets that seem to go to 1.25 pages and a lot of the information could be left off or shown more efficiently IMO.

IIRC the format for the report is XML. Shouldn't be too hard to modify.

Just noticed I typed XML... Meant to type HTML. Looking up the procedure for swapping them in now.

I've been trying to find a good BeerSmith report. I don't really need all the steps. I just want the recipe and the different estimated readings with a spot to enter actual (pre-boil volume, estimated OG, actual OG, etc).

Subscribed to see if anything comes up

Note that the "Style" of the report is handled in the CSS file. So to change colors, bars, etc. you do that in a different place. The REPORT file is HTML and pretty simple. Basically it's a few tables with some text and some variables to carry names, amounts, times, temperatures, etc into the report in the locations you want them.

I had a problem about 2 months ago where my printer was printing a huge section black, even though there was supposed to be nothing in the report. I found out how to change the CSS file to make the background color different so it printed white (blank). Just a rare issue with a particular printer driver.

And it's time to go home. Just got going on this and someone came in needing help with a router. Hopefully I can get back to this tomorrow. It would be nice to be able to make my own reports.

I messed around with it a bit and came up with this kind of a report. I didn't do much prettying up. I spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out a few of the variables.

Getting there! For me, I like it all on one page, so I don't have to staple sheets together and then keep them in the drawer. I used to have a folder, but there are hundreds of them, and so I stick them in order in a big drawer. If I only brewed five times per year, more paper wouldn't be an issue but there are over 500 pages already in that drawer!

Getting there! For me, I like it all on one page, so I don't have to staple sheets together and then keep them in the drawer. I used to have a folder, but there are hundreds of them, and so I stick them in order in a big drawer. If I only brewed five times per year, more paper wouldn't be an issue but there are over 500 pages already in that drawer!

I like have everything on one page and one side too but I havent found one that fits exactly what I want. What I have been doing is printing the usually beersmith report on 1 side and then a brew log on the other. I do print out a bru'n water report on a 2nd page but my logs are all on one page.

Send me a copy of one of your brewsheets and I'll see what I can do. Most of my time was spent finding a couple of variables that I really wanted, but were kind of hidden. Shouldn't be much work to put together something very similar to what you have.

I like a nice, clean sheet, but with HTML it's possible to make it look more fancy with colors and whatnots.

FWIW I used Adobe Dreamweaver CS for editing. Mostly because I like to have the code AND the WYSIWYG screen when editing a site. Anyone with basic HTML experience (like me) can modify their reports.

It was just a Beersmith template, with most of the things removed that weren't important on the brewsheet.

Here's the classic brewsheet from my last brewday:
Brewing Steps: Citrus Sunshine IPA
American IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 07 Jun 2016
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal Brewer: Yooper
Boil Size: 12.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Stainless Kegs (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
Final Bottling Volume: 10.25 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Prepare for Brewing

Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment
Total Water Needed: 15.19 gal
Water Prep Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
6.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
5.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
3.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -

Mash or Steep Grains

Mash Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
22 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 86.3 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6 7.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8 2.0 %

Mash Steps Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Saccharification Add 34.44 qt of water at 165.7 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Fly sparge with 6.58 gal water at 168.0 F

Boil Wort

Add water to achieve boil volume of 12.00 gal
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.055 SG
Boil Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.50 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 13.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 15.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 20.4 IBUs

Steeped Hops Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 12 7.7 IBUs

Estimated Post Boil Vol: 10.50 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.062 SG
Cool and Prepare Fermentation

Cool wort to fermentation temperature
Transfer wort to fermenter
Add water to achieve final volume of 10.50 gal
Fermentation Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.0 pkg Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) [124.21 ml] Yeast 13 -

Measure Actual Original Gravity _______ (Target: 1.062 SG)
Measure Actual Batch Volume _______ (Target: 10.50 gal)
Fermentation
07 Jun 2016 - Primary Fermentation (14.00 days at 67.0 F ending at 67.0 F)

Dry Hop and Prepare for Bottling/Kegging Dry Hop/Bottling Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 oz Mosaic [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

Measure Final Gravity: _________ (Estimate: 1.018 SG)
Date Bottled/Kegged: 21 Jun 2016 - Carbonation: Keg with 12.27 PSI
Age beer for 0.00 days at 65.0 F
21 Jun 2016 - Drink and enjoy!

The details on there I want off are:

1. All the stuff at the top (my equipment? I KNOW my equipment! I know I brewed it, and I don't need all that crap). I would like style, OG, SRM and IBUs. That's about it.
2. Clean and prepare brewing equipment
3. Total water needed
4. Add water to achieve preboil volume
5. Cool wort to fermentation temperature
6. Transfer wort to fermenter
7. Add water to achieve final volume
8. Primary Fermentation
9. Secondary Fermentation
9. Age for
10. Drink and enjoy

I had one from someone on this forum, but I can't find it via search in any of the threads, and it had just the needed information, plus dryhopping (which is needed for me) but that was it. I really don't need to be reminded to cool the wort, to age the beer, or to drink it!

Have a look at this one and see if it's close to what you want. (I don't input water additions in BS, so they won't show up in the PDF, but should for your recipes...)

You will have to change the extension of the .bsm file to .htm. HBT doesn't allow uploading of htm files for security reasons.

View attachment Yoopers_Brewsheet.pdf

View attachment Yoopers_Brewsheet.bsm

Ok. Some I'm back at it, making some custom brewsheets, and I wonder how to edit the Mash section so it displays differently. As it is, in the HTML file, I can edit everything except for major sections. I'm not familiar with how all of this works to be able to get in to each section and make changes to it.

For the mash section, it's called by the $MASH_STEPS variable, but I don't know how to modify the $MASH_STEPS variable. I'd like to be able to change a bit of the text and reorganize the table.

The links do work for me. Perhaps it's the iPad, maybe try a desktop computer if available. Don't forget to rename the pdf's after download as directed in the thread.

Back