Beersmith recipe scaling malt percentages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussie brewer

Reaction score
Hi, when scaling a recipe down on beersmith do you adjust the grain percentages to match the original or let the program calculate new percentages to match the colour? cheers

I allow the program to adjust the grain percentages to give me the same color, gravity, and bitterness as the original. My typical use is moving between a 10 liter BIAB and a 20 liter mash tun/kettle system and the efficiency of each system is different. If I kept the same grain percentages between the BIAB and the mash tun system, I would come out much darker in color and stronger in malt flavor (did that until I learned to do otherwise) due to the lesser efficiency in the mash tun versus the BIAB processes.

Let the program calculate the new percentages and amounts of all ingredients. Then, if you want to change anything, use the sliders in the program.

Latest posts

Back