Beersmith Recipe Est OG vs Measured OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cskid

Reaction score
Took an all grain recipe for an 11 gallon Tank 7 clone from online. Loaded into Beersmith and then scaled the recipe to 5 gallons and changed equipment to my BIAB setup. Percentages of grain look correct, hops, etc. The "Estimated Original Gravity" number is right where it should be. "Estimated Pre-Boil Gravity" assuming sounds right at 1.057. Two questions. 1. Why is there a number for "Measured OG" at 1.046 when nothing is measured and I'm creating a recipe? 2. At 1.046 why would this number be so low considering my "Estimated OG" is 1.073? Why would the measured number be lower than the "Estimated Pre-Boil Gravity" at 1.057? The OG would only go up after boil. Right? Any help would be appreciated. At this point the "Measured OG" number is making me thing I need to add grain even though all other info other than "Measured OG" looks right. Brewnotes attached

Attachments

• Tank 7.png
    Tank 7.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 14
I would recommend asking you question on the beer smith forums, there are people there that are very knowledgeable about Beersmith. I don’t worry about that number until I actually measure and put an entry into beersmith. But I am not an expert just a user.

Measured is what you measure.

While I'm hardly a pro at beersmith, I believe the "measured OG/FG" values are simply a default autofill until you manually change them yourself after you measured. Or at least thats what I have always assumed. I just ignore it until I take the actual measurement and add the information into the field.

While I'm hardly a pro at beersmith, I believe the "measured OG/FG" values are simply a default autofill until you manually change them yourself after you measured. Or at least thats what I have always assumed. I just ignore it until I take the actual measurement and add the information into the field.
^^ This ^^ Measured fields are for user notes. They mean nothing before you brew and you can zero them out, or reset them to match the expected results. Once you brew the recipe and fill out the fields, the program will calculate your actual efficiency versus the estimated efficiency in your equipment profile.

I would recommend asking you question on the beer smith forums, there are people there that are very knowledgeable about Beersmith. I don’t worry about that number until I actually measure and put an entry into beersmith. But I am not an expert just a user.

Measured is what you measure.

Will do. Thanks for your feedback.

Ok. Will do. Thanks for your response.

^^ This ^^ Measured fields are for user notes. They mean nothing before you brew and you can zero them out, or reset them to match the expected results. Once you brew the recipe and fill out the fields, the program will calculate your actual efficiency versus the estimated efficiency in your equipment profile.

Thank you. Will be interesting to see how well I do on efficiency. Appreciate your feedback and those who responded. At ease now that the reading is not something I did wrong.

Back