Beersmith keg carbonation calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmskis

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the amount of sugar bs gives is accurate to carbonate a keg? Does it go of of the batch amount? Or how does it calculate the amount? I am kegging a beer that does not fill the entire keg volume and wondering if I should adjust the amount bs is telling me. I am naturally carbing not force carbing.

The latest BS2 version Carb Tool looks like this:
bs_carb_tool.jpg

As can be seen the Beer Volume can be set to whatever amount one wishes to carbonate, and the primer amount is based on that volume...

Cheers!

Does not the volume of the keg matter?

Probably does, particularly with increasing head space, but tbh I've looked at at least a half-dozen primer calculators and do not recall any of them evidently taking vessel volume into the equation...

Cheers!

Does not the volume of the keg matter?

Probably does, particularly with increasing head space, but tbh I've looked at at least a half-dozen primer calculators and do not recall any of them evidently taking vessel volume into the equation...

Cheers!

I haven't carbonated a keg naturally (yet), so I never thought about this before, but the headspace requires a similar amount of CO2 to pressurize as does the beer to carbonate, on a volume per volume basis.

The equilibrium CO2 partial pressure for 2.5 volumes of carbonation @40˚F is 12.27 psig or 26.97 psia. Thus the headspace requires 26.97 / 14.695 = 1.84 volumes/volume of CO2 to maintain the required headspace pressure.

Beer that has a final fermentation temp of 68˚F has about 0.84 volumes of residual CO2, so to carbonate to 2.5 volumes requires that an additional 2.5 - 0.84 = 1.66 volumes be added.

So, on the face of it, it looks like you need to add even more priming sugar to carbonate a 1/2 full keg than a full keg. However, this simple first look assumes that the headspace in the keg starts out with no CO2, and this is seldom the case, since most brewers purge the headspace, and then pressurize to some level in order to make sure the lid seal is well seated.

It would be possible to create a calculator that takes into account the starting headspace CO2 partial pressure, and the headspace volume vs. the beer volume, but there is really no need to do that. And here's the method that will make the headspace volume irrelevant:
  • Calculate the priming sugar weight needed to carbonate just the volume of beer that you have, and prime with that.
  • After you are done purging the headspace, pressurize to the psi specified by the force carbonation chart/calculator for your serving temp and carb level.
By pre-filling the headspace with the same amount of CO2 that it needs, you don't have to take the headspace into account in the priming calculations.

* The above is a little bit over simplified as it ignores the pressure changes in the headspace due to temperature changes, but this is a relatively small factor compared to the total amount of CO2 involved.

Brew on :mug:

I could easily be missing something here, but if "the headspace requires a similar amount of CO2 to pressurize as does the beer to carbonate, on a volume per volume basis", wouldn't the simplest solution be to set the primer weight based on the total volume of the carbonation vessel?

Cheers!

I could easily be missing something here, but if "the headspace requires a similar amount of CO2 to pressurize as does the beer to carbonate, on a volume per volume basis", wouldn't the simplest solution be to set the primer weight based on the total volume of the carbonation vessel?

Cheers!
Only if there was zero CO2 in the headspace to start with. But if you purge the headspace correctly then you have at least 14.7 psia in the headspace. Then any gauge pressure over 0 provides even more CO2. The standard advice when naturally carbing a keg is to purge, and then pressurize to make sure the lid is sealed. At that point you're better off setting the starting headspace pressure at a level that will cancel out the effect of the headspace.

Switching gears: If we want to correct for the difference in required headspace pressure between room temp (70˚F or 21.1˚C -- carbonation temp) and serving temp (say 40˚F or 4.5˚C) then the correction factor is (273.15 + 21.1) / (273.15 + 4.5) = 1.06. The correction has to be applied to the headspace absolute pressure, rather than gauge pressure, so we get:
RT Headspace PSIG = 1.06 * (Chart Pressure + 14.7) - 14.7 = 1.06 * Chart Pressure + 0.88 psi​
If you are at high elevation, then you want to use the first form of the equation, and replace 14.7 with your local atmospheric pressure.

Only if there was zero CO2 in the headspace to start with. But if you purge the headspace correctly then you have at least 14.7 psia in the headspace. Then any gauge pressure over 0 provides even more CO2. The standard advice when naturally carbing a keg is to purge, and then pressurize to make sure the lid is sealed. At that point you're better off setting the starting headspace pressure at a level that will cancel out the effect of the headspace.

Switching gears: If we want to correct for the difference in required headspace pressure between room temp (70˚F or 21.1˚C -- carbonation temp) and serving temp (say 40˚F or 4.5˚C) then the correction factor is (273.15 + 21.1) / (273.15 + 4.5) = 1.06. The correction has to be applied to the headspace absolute pressure, rather than gauge pressure, so we get:
RT Headspace PSIG = 1.06 * (Chart Pressure + 14.7) - 14.7 = 1.06 * Chart Pressure + 0.88 psi​
If you are at high elevation, then you want to use the first form of the equation, and replace 14.7 with your local atmospheric pressure.

So if I read this right... You recommend to fill the keg with whatever volume. Add the priming sugar based on the kegged volume of beer( amount from bs calculation) Then purge correctly. Final purge you fill to psi for desired temp and carb ( in my case looking for 2.1 so I would do 22 psi at 65 degrees) let it sit maybe checking occasionally with a pressure gauge that it is not greatly exceeding 22 psi. Once carbonated put in kegerator and cool to serving temp hook up co2 to dispense ( in my case I would use 7 psi since kegerator is at 38 degrees and want 2.1 volumes) now this may or may not take in the temp differences but my gauge is not thst accurate to be determining the little change it looked like it made. But this should get me close I think!

... And here's the method that will make the headspace volume irrelevant:
  • Calculate the priming sugar weight needed to carbonate just the volume of beer that you have, and prime with that.
  • After you are done purging the headspace, pressurize to the psi specified by the force carbonation chart/calculator for your serving temp and carb level.
By pre-filling the headspace with the same amount of CO2 that it needs, you don't have to take the headspace into account in the priming calculations.

... If we want to correct for the difference in required headspace pressure between room temp (70˚F or 21.1˚C -- carbonation temp) and serving temp (say 40˚F or 4.5˚C) then the correction factor is (273.15 + 21.1) / (273.15 + 4.5) = 1.06. The correction has to be applied to the headspace absolute pressure, rather than gauge pressure, so we get:

So if I read this right... You recommend to fill the keg with whatever volume. Add the priming sugar based on the kegged volume of beer( amount from bs calculation) Then purge correctly. Final purge you fill to psi for desired temp and carb ( in my case looking for 2.1 so I would do 22 psi at 65 degrees) let it sit maybe checking occasionally with a pressure gauge that it is not greatly exceeding 22 psi. Once carbonated put in kegerator and cool to serving temp hook up co2 to dispense ( in my case I would use 7 psi since kegerator is at 38 degrees and want 2.1 volumes) now this may or may not take in the temp differences but my gauge is not thst accurate to be determining the little change it looked like it made. But this should get me close I think!

Almost, but you want to set the pressure based on serving temperature, not carbonation temperature. So, after purging, you would set the pressure to 7 psi. Or, if you want to do the temperature correction it would be 1.06 * 7 + 0.88 = 8.3 psi. If you set your pressure at 22 psi, you will end up with more carbonation than you intended.

Almost, but you want to set the pressure based on serving temperature, not carbonation temperature. So, after purging, you would set the pressure to 7 psi. Or, if you want to do the temperature correction it would be 1.06 * 7 + 0.88 = 8.3 psi. If you set your pressure at 22 psi, you will end up with more carbonation than you intended.

Thank you for looking over that and catching that! As it carbonates at room temp (65 in my case) I assume the pressure will increase as it carbonates. Would i be correct in assuming that the pressure would rise to 22 psi? ( that is the pressure that 2.1 volumes at 65 degrees equals)

Thank you for looking over that and catching that! As it carbonates at room temp (65 in my case) I assume the pressure will increase as it carbonates. Would i be correct in assuming that the pressure would rise to 22 psi? ( that is the pressure that 2.1 volumes at 65 degrees equals)

With a small headspace volume relative to beer volume, the pressure would come up to about 22 psi. However with a larger headspace volume and smaller beer volume, it won't actually get to 22 psi. If you are curious, I can actually calculate what pressure it should finish at (assuming the residual carb level after carbonation and priming sugar amount are as expected.)

Thanks for your help! Instead of just having you calculate one specific instance I am following along and trying to look at the formulas. So far I have derived this to calculate the pressure that I should apply to the keg when sealing up to carbonate: (this works for any volume from what I understand since we are essentially eliminating the headspace by prefilling it)
1. Determine pressure difference between the serving and carbonation level.
(273.15+T1)/(273.15+T2)=Pdifference
2. Determine pressure to apply to keg headspace
Pdifference+Chart Pressure+ .88=Pressure
Chart pressure is psi for serving temp and desired c02 volume.
3. Apply this derived psi after proper purging.
4. Determine pressure that the carbonation should finish at.
Would it be possible for you, Doug293cz, to give the formula to figure this out for varying variables (temp, volume, co2 levels, etc)? Maybe it is to involved for the thread but I am curious on how you find these values.

Back