Beersmith error?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewslikeaking

Reaction score
The recipe i created on beersmith 2 seems to contradict itself and has me confused. Its such a simple recipe, pale malt and citra hops. And i built my equipment and mash profile on beersmith to match my setup. Its an electric brew in a bag recirculating infusion mash system (eBIAB-RIMS). Usually i use my computer and beersmith to make the recipe and the print out tells me how much water to start with. This time im soley using the phone app beersmith. As you can see in the pics- the mash step in the box in one image says "add 38qt of water" but when you click on that box you get the second screenshot which tells me to "add 33qt of water". 33quarts seems more realistic. Any ideas ?

View attachment 1500505013207.jpg

View attachment 1500505019511.jpg

I use the mobile app and I ignore those numbers and only reference the numbers on the time tab to get my volumes.

I use Beersmith to get my numbers but I completely ignore the BIAB recommendations. There is no accounting for those of us who sparge (dunk or otherwise) which increases your efficiency from what I have found.

I do BIAB exclusively for a 5 gallon batch to fermenter (using a 10 gallon kettle) I mash with 6 gallons and sparge another gallon over the grains or dunk. when that is added it brings me to 7 gallons pre-boil. After a 60minute boil I usually have about 5.5 gallon to the fermenter which gives me 5 gallons in the bottle after evaporation and trub loss.

I use Beersmith to get my numbers but I completely ignore the BIAB recommendations. There is no accounting for those of us who sparge (dunk or otherwise) which increases your efficiency from what I have found.

I do BIAB exclusively for a 5 gallon batch to fermenter (using a 10 gallon kettle) I mash with 6 gallons and sparge another gallon over the grains or dunk. when that is added it brings me to 7 gallons pre-boil. After a 60minute boil I usually have about 5.5 gallon to the fermenter which gives me 5 gallons in the bottle after evaporation and trub loss.

Since you sparge, don't use the BIAB-mode. BIAB is just no sparge. Go into the first mash step and edit how much water you will use for that step, Either by "water to add", or "water/grain ratio". That number should follow through the rest of your mash steps if you have any more. If you have more steps make sure every step has 0 in the "water to add" box, just to make sure. Then BS should calculate your sparge water.

You might also want to go to tools-options-advanced and adjust "grain absorption". Don't use the BIAB grain absorption, since that is linked to if you have checked the BIAB-box, which you should not, since you are sparging, as mentioned above.

Is it possible that that difference is the first screen is saying 38.02 quarts at 167.4 F and the other screen showing 33.02 quarts is the water needed at room temp that will expand by 5 quarts at 167.4 degrees?

Is it possible that that difference is the first screen is saying 38.02 quarts at 167.4 F and the other screen showing 33.02 quarts is the water needed at room temp that will expand by 5 quarts at 167.4 degrees?

BS does not accout for this thermal expansion at mash in.

The volumetric gain of water initially measured at 68 degrees F. should be on the order of 2% when it is subsequently measured at 167 degrees F., and 3% when measured at boiling.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/volumetric-temperature-expansion-d_315.html

For wort things are apparently different, and I've often seen 4% quoted as the overall expansion differential between room temperature and boiling. This is what I assume for wort when factoring cool-down shrinkage after boiling.

The volumetric gain of water initially measured at 68 degrees F. should be on the order of 2% when it is subsequently measured at 167 degrees F., and 3% when measured at boiling.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/volumetric-temperature-expansion-d_315.html

For wort things are apparently different, and I've often seen 4% quoted as the overall expansion differential between room temperature and boiling. This is what I assume for wort when factoring cool-down shrinkage after boiling.

Actually water expands a little over 4% going from 68°F to 212°F (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-density-specific-weight-d_595.html.) The calculator on the page you linked assumes a constant coefficient of thermal expansion, but water's CTE is highly non-linear, so that calculator doesn't work well for water. They even warn you about that just above the calculator input fields. Then just below the calculator they give data on the CTE of water as a function of temperature, which shows the CTE goes up by a factor of about 3.5X over the room temp to boiling range. That's huge.

There's a lot of info on how wort (sugar solutions actually) compares to water w.r.t. density vs. temp in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=531216.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back