BeerSmith equipment setup for Braumeister 50L?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hjandersen

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a good equipment setup for the Braumeister 50L for BeerSmith? I'm having trouble getting the software to play along with brewing on that particular system..

I do not have a Braumeister, but if you provide a little more detail, perhap the forum can assist. Essentially you are mashing and boiling in the same kettle, but in beersmith, you need to define these components individually.

Okay, sure here are some details:
1. Its a RIMS setup (Recirculating Infusion Mash System)
2. Total boil capacity is approximately 17 gal - normally 13-14,5 gal is brewed.
3. Malt-funnel have capacity for approximately 35 lb malt

Multistep mashing, boiling, sparging and cooling are performed in the same vessel. The malt funnel is removed from the setup after mashing.

I can't really think of more fact that I already know about the system.

See:
http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/20-and-50-litre-braumeister.html

The equipment profile is fairly straightforward to setup. Let's start with the boiler.

Boiler:
1. Top Up Water: Zero since you are doing full batch boils.
2. Check the box to calculate Boil Vol. automatically. This calculates the boil volume off based off your batch size and boil off rate. You may not know your boil off rate yet, but you can estimate it by boiling water for an hour and subtracting the pre-boil vol from the post boil vol. Something like 0.5-1 gallons per hour is probably a good starting point.
3. That should be it for the boiler, leave the defaults for the other values.

Mash/Lauter Tun:
1. Mash Tun Volume: On your system, I would list the tun volume as the volume of the kettle (I think it's 55L) minus the volume displaced by the malt pipe and tie down rod, etc. You should be able to calculate this with water by adding the malt pipe and calculating the increase in water volume from the measuring rod.That will give you your workable mash tun volume.
2. Mash tun weight and specific heat: Estimate/calculate the weight of the kettle with the mash pipe. This is used to compensate mash temperatures for the thermal mass of your tun.
3. Mash Tun Specific Heat – The specific heat of your mash tun – generally this is a number between 0.10 and 0.50 with lower numbers associated with all metal mash tuns such as stainless steel and higher numbers representing plastic thermal coolers. This is probably less critical on your system since you have temperature control and a heat source.
4. Deadspace: Should be zero since your mash tun is also your kettle.

Efficiency: I'd probably start with 75% and adjust from there after you "dial in" your sytem.

Fermenter: Pretty straightforward, I like to get 5.5 gallons into my fermenter and I estimate I lose about .5 gallons to trub and siphoning. This leaves me with a five gallon finished volume (bottling vol).

For Mash Profile: It depends on what you are doing, but Beersmith has temperature mash profiles which you can modify for your desired temperature rests. The temperature rest profiles are for systems with a heast source, like yours. There are single and double temperature mashes, and you can always add your own mash profile.

This may help if you still have questions: http://beersmith.com/equipment-setup/

You should be ready to go. Enjoy your brew system :mug:

The equipment profile is fairly straightforward to setup. Let's start with the boiler.

Boiler:
1. Top Up Water: Zero since you are doing full batch boils.
2. Check the box to calculate Boil Vol. automatically. This calculates the boil volume off based off your batch size and boil off rate. You may not know your boil off rate yet, but you can estimate it by boiling water for an hour and subtracting the pre-boil vol from the post boil vol. Something like 0.5-1 gallons per hour is probably a good starting point.
3. That should be it for the boiler, leave the defaults for the other values.

Mash/Lauter Tun:
1. Mash Tun Volume: On your system, I would list the tun volume as the volume of the kettle (I think it's 55L) minus the volume displaced by the malt pipe and tie down rod, etc. You should be able to calculate this with water by adding the malt pipe and calculating the increase in water volume from the measuring rod.That will give you your workable mash tun volume.
2. Mash tun weight and specific heat: Estimate/calculate the weight of the kettle with the mash pipe. This is used to compensate mash temperatures for the thermal mass of your tun.
3. Mash Tun Specific Heat – The specific heat of your mash tun – generally this is a number between 0.10 and 0.50 with lower numbers associated with all metal mash tuns such as stainless steel and higher numbers representing plastic thermal coolers. This is probably less critical on your system since you have temperature control and a heat source.
4. Deadspace: Should be zero since your mash tun is also your kettle.

Efficiency: I'd probably start with 75% and adjust from there after you "dial in" your sytem.

Fermenter: Pretty straightforward, I like to get 5.5 gallons into my fermenter and I estimate I lose about .5 gallons to trub and siphoning. This leaves me with a five gallon finished volume (bottling vol).

For Mash Profile: It depends on what you are doing, but Beersmith has temperature mash profiles which you can modify for your desired temperature rests. The temperature rest profiles are for systems with a heast source, like yours. There are single and double temperature mashes, and you can always add your own mash profile.

This may help if you still have questions: http://beersmith.com/equipment-setup/

You should be ready to go. Enjoy your brew system :mug:

Thanks a bunch - I'll give this a try on next brewing occasion..

Back