Beersmith 2 with Brew-Boss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Toy

Reaction score
Up until now, I have been brewing Partial Mash in a 5 Gallon kettle on the stovetop. All of my recipes in Beersmith 2 are set up accordingly.

I just bought the Brew-Boss 15 gallon BIAB system and would love to convert all of my recipes to All Grain/BIAB. However, there does not appear to me an Equipment Profile in the system for a 15 Gallon Electric BIAB.

Has anyone created a profile that they wouldn't mind sharing? I am sure that a screenshot of your profile from BeerSmith would save me and a few other people on here some time :D

And any other suggestions for making the conversion?

You have to create one based on your pot. Then you will use the BIAB mash set up. It being gas or electric doesn't matter.

You have to create one based on your pot. Then you will use the BIAB mash set up. It being gas or electric doesn't matter.

Right, I understand that. But with a large number of 15 gallon Brew-Boss systems already out there and in operation, I assumed that someone must have already gone through the process and completed a profile.

It would be great to pool all of everyone's equipment profiles and Brew-Boss brewing tips using BeerSmith2 if possible.

A brew boss set up won't be different from another biab set up. Its the pot size, chill shrinkage, left over trub and boil off. Even two 15 gallon BB systems will have a different profile based on the two brewing styles of the owner. The boil off rate will be different. The leftover trub will be different. You really need to base it off your exact set up. You need to go through a brew day and measure everything. I can post my profile tomorrow but like I said it will be different from what yours should be.

A brew boss set up won't be different from another biab set up. Its the pot size, chill shrinkage, left over trub and boil off. Even two 15 gallon BB systems will have a different profile based on the two brewing styles of the owner. The boil off rate will be different. The leftover trub will be different. You really need to base it off your exact set up. You need to go through a brew day and measure everything. I can post my profile tomorrow but like I said it will be different from what yours should be.

Cool. Looking forward to seeing your profile. Darin is sending me ones as well. I just need a starting point that I can change when necessary.

I spoke with Darin and he sent me 2 profiles for the 15 gallon system. One for a 5 gallon brew and one for a 10 gallon brew. Now I am not saying that this is the definitive answer, but its a starting point and whether you like it or not, all of the brew-boss systems are built the same and should fit a very similar profile.

So here is the one for the 15 Gallon System for a 5 Gallon Brew. Everything in here is what he sent me, except I added 1.30 Gal for the Mash Tun Deadspace to account for the volume left in the kettle after draining it (assuming that I am not tipping the kettle to get that final 1.3 gallons). Am I correct to call that deadspace?

Brew Boss 5 Gallon.jpg

Not sure what "whether you like it or not" means lol I'm just trying to help you out.

The evaporation rate, losses to trub, mash tun dead space and cooling loss will all be different for everyone even on the same system. That is why I was telling you that my profile will be different from yours. You can't really use other peoples profiles as a starting point. You need to brew a full batch and write down all the info you need based on your set up. That is the only way to get your accurate figures.

His evap rate is 12%, mine is 22%
His loss to trub is 1 gal, mine is .25 gal

If I used his figures, my end volume would be way off.

There is no mash tun dead space since there is no mash tun. The loss to trub/chiller is what is left over after transferring. You don't need to believe me. I am just another person on the internet. However, if you use his figures you will most likely come out with a different volume than you wanted to end up with. The only real way to determine each variable is to actually brew and record your findings.

To get evap rate, you can simply boil water for an hour. The loss to trub would need to be recorded after an actual brew day.

Not sure what "whether you like it or not" means lol I'm just trying to help you out.

The evaporation rate, losses to trub, mash tun dead space and cooling loss will all be different for everyone even on the same system. That is why I was telling you that my profile will be different from yours. You can't really use other peoples profiles as a starting point. You need to brew a full batch and write down all the info you need based on your set up. That is the only way to get your accurate figures.

If I used his figures, my end volume would be way off.

There is no mash tun dead space since there is no mash tun. The loss to trub/chiller is what is left over after transferring. You don't need to believe me. I am just another person on the internet. However, if you use his figures you will most likely come out with a different volume than you wanted to end up with. The only real way to determine each variable is to actually brew and record your findings.

To get evap rate, you can simply boil water for an hour. The loss to trub would need to be recorded after an actual brew day.

Sorry, I just use that expression. Guess it comes off as being a tad aggressive.

And thanks for all of this information. I know that there will be differences but I assumed that I should start somewhere and getting those profiles from the source would be the best place. I hear what you are saying about the measurements and will record everything and fine-tune the system.

Probably going to start with his figures in Beersmith for the first run and work backwards from there. If all goes well, I will be brewing by the middle of next week :ban:

Just mounted the tablet using this handy-dandy mount: Mount. Works awesome and was cheap!!!

IMG_4291.jpg

Not a problem.

I do recommend boiling water for an hour to measure your boil off. That one can be done without brewing and it is the biggest factor. If you put boil off at .5 gallons but actually boil off 1.5 gallons, your finished product will not be what you wanted. You will have 1 gallon less and a higher OG. For a test batch it really isn't a problem but might as well get one variable all set before brewing. Just a thought.

All the other inputs you can use Darin's as a guide.

Nice little set up you got. When I bought mine he didn't have the sight glass or the tri-clover fittings. The sight glass I'll most likely get from Bobby at brewhardware.com, that isn't a big deal. The tri-clover I wish I had though. Much easier taking out the element and cleaning everything.

Hey h22lude, just a quick question out of curiosity, how are you getting .25 gal loss to trub? Are you using a pickup tube? Tipping the kettle?

@Rock_Toy thanks for posting, it at least gives me an idea what to have my setting for in beersmith.

:off:
About a week ago I bought the deluxe system with COFI and I am still waiting for him to ship, hoping it won't be on back order too long, I have some empty kegs and some beers to brew. In general it seems like it is a pretty solid system. I like that it has the welded tri-clover fittings on for easy cleaning. I used that logic for justification on paying more for a system rather than drilling holes and buying weldless fitting to convert my current 15 gallon pot.

If it works well for me, which it seems it will, I'll probably sell off my propane stand, coolers, and brewpots to off set the cost and make my operation a lot more faster, compact, and easy to clean.

I have a dip tube that picks up in the corner of the pot and I do tilt the pot a little at the end. I don't mind a little trub getting in primary. I just don't want it all.

Back