Beersmith 2 VS BrewersFriend.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takuie

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed many times and I can see most people prefer beersmith2 over just about anything else. I myself own beersmith2, but I find myself going back to brewersfriend time and time again. A couple of things I really find missing that are super useful to me is the way you can track and log your brews in BF, how many times you have brewed a certain recipe, things of that nature. I hate having to save my recipes in BS2 and add brew dates to the name so I can go back and review past brews.

I really wish BS2 had this log/tracking feature. I absolutely love BS2, but with BS2 I still have to keep brew notes in a separate notebook as with BF, I could keep it all online and had access to it anywhere as long as I had internet connection.

In all honesty, I find the 17 bucks every 2 years a minimal fee at best. I know brad is a member here and I hope he plans to expand BS2 to maybe include this feature.

Just for curiosity sake, what program(s) do you use and what is your favorite feature(s)?

I'm like you. I have purchased both and keep going back and forth. Right now I'm leaning to the BF. I feel it's easier to use and definitely like the reporting feature. I just wish it could track on a calendar level where my brew was at and the cost. I do like the BS timers more.

Here is what I do with BS2 to "log" my brews...

1) In the folder pane, create a new folder for the current year.
2) All recipes brewed that year go in the associated folder.
3) The brew date field for each recipe is populated with the actual (or planned for future brews) brew date. When you open the folder, you see a chronological listing (by brew date) of every recipe brewed for the year. If you want to brew the same recipe again, copy/paste it to the current year folder, change the brew date field, then tweak it for changes as necessary. You can also add brew day notes. This leaves the original recipe unaltered while providing a log of everything that was brewed, the exact recipe w/notes for each time it was brewed, as well as when it was brewed.

BS2.jpg

Last edited:
BeerSmith's Brew Log is its most talked about "hidden in plain sight" feature.

You can organize recipes in several folders based on source, or brewing style or whatever you need to keep them organized.

In the Home ribbon, dead center, is the line "Copy to Log." It's right above "Copy to Cloud." Highlight a recipe and click this. If you haven't created a brew log file, one will be created.

I find that if I just set all base recipes to the date 01/01/01, when copied to the log, they all end up on top of the list. I can then modify them as needed (different ingredients, scaled to a different system, different fermentation profile), then change the date to my actual brew date. Now, recipes in that folder can have the same name but be sorted by date.

In Options, you can choose to change the log name (i.e. Brewing Sessions) and assign only recipes in that file to show on the calendar.

BeerSmith could use a lot of updated features and controls, but the brew log is already there.

I just found the Brew Log function today, it is exactly what I was looking for in BS2. Such a small button for such an important feature!

I'm planning to make a log folder per year to track my brewing, also once you add a beer to your brew log folder it starts tracking it in the BS calendar, sweet.

You go into Tools - Options - Advanced and change the name of the brew log folder and it will not change the current brew log folder's name and it wont create a new folder until you select a recipe and click add to brew log. (I say this because it had me some what confused for a while, I couldn't understand why my freshly named file wasn't appearing)

I'm sure I'm just stating the obvious and it has been said already but I'm just so excited to have found this just now as the apparent lack of any tracking features has had me frustrated for a far while.

Cheers, I'll step down from my soap box now :tank:

Glad you found the 'Brew Log' function. It really is invaluable in making BeerSmith a useful program for tracking your recipe repeats. I've done something similar to what you have listed above. I add my recipes that I plan on brewing to the Brew Log folder. Within that folder, I have sub-folders for each year, plus one for 'fermenting'. When I brew one of the recipes, I move it from the brew log folder to the fermenting sub-folder and when it has been bottled, I then move it to the corresponding folder for that year.

Since these sub-folders are all within the brew log folder, all the recipes show up in the calendar, so I have two ways to go back and track what I have previously done.

I just found the Brew Log function today, it is exactly what I was looking for in BS2. Such a small button for such an important feature!

Cool. Glad to help. There are a lot of BeerSmith features that are hidden in plain sight. And still more that can be customized.

I manage my log folder by date. In several recipe folders, I have original recipes all with a date of 01/01/01. When I copy to Log, this gives me a forecast of my planned brews, right at the top of the log, when sorted by ascending date. I can now create a shopping list from those forecast brews.

When the brew day arrives, I simply have to highlight the day, choose "today's date" then make any changes directly to the recipe, and update my measured values.

To simplify writing new recipes, I've created a baseline recipe with a basic amount of grains, foundation bitterness and my favorite yeast. Then I added all of the tedious stuff that goes into every recipe, like, irish moss, nutrient, finings and anything else I use all the time. My equipment, fermentation, and bottling profiles are also in there.

Once that recipe is designed, use the "save as default" button and confirm it. This'll bring up a baseline every time you start a new recipe. From there, it's easy to modify it.

Hi Guys,
I'm sorry if this sounds like a very obvious thing to you BS veterans. I'm relatively new to BS2. What do you mean by a brew log? I followed the steps mentioned in the above posts to create a log of my recipe and it seemed to only create a copy of my original recipe under that folder. From there on it became a completely new entity with seemingly no backward relation to my original recipe. I can now edit it, modify it, delete it etc. So is the BS2 brewlog simply a copy of the recipe or is there something more to it?

I am looking for a way to actually log all the steps performed on your brew day and beyond? I tried the button "BrewSteps". It only created a -seemingly- printable page with a few steps. No way to actually record details into the log. In BF, when you select "Brew", it creates a snap shot of your recipe and allows you to create a step by step log of your activity. Is there anything similar in BS2?

I love the "brew log" feature of BF. It reminds me of every step. Allows me to actually check-off each of them. It allows me to record my measured readings like Volumes, Temps, Gravities etc with timestamp. Based on that it even allows re-calibration of the equipment, or attenuation etc. This definitely simplifies my brew day as it doesn't leave anything to chance. I can do some other work side by side while brewing. If only this log had a built in running timer, life would be perfect (apparently their windows app has timer but haven't used the app yet).

BS2 probably has some similar feature but I am unable to find it. I'd appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

Hi Guys,
I'm sorry if this sounds like a very obvious thing to you BS veterans. I'm relatively new to BS2. What do you mean by a brew log? I followed the steps mentioned in the above posts to create a log of my recipe and it seemed to only create a copy of my original recipe under that folder. From there on it became a completely new entity with seemingly no backward relation to my original recipe. I can now edit it, modify it, delete it etc. So is the BS2 brewlog simply a copy of the recipe or is there something more to it?

I am looking for a way to actually log all the steps performed on your brew day and beyond? I tried the button "BrewSteps". It only created a -seemingly- printable page with a few steps. No way to actually record details into the log. In BF, when you select "Brew", it creates a snap shot of your recipe and allows you to create a step by step log of your activity. Is there anything similar in BS2?

I love the "brew log" feature of BF. It reminds me of every step. Allows me to actually check-off each of them. It allows me to record my measured readings like Volumes, Temps, Gravities etc with timestamp. Based on that it even allows re-calibration of the equipment, or attenuation etc. This definitely simplifies my brew day as it doesn't leave anything to chance. I can do some other work side by side while brewing. If only this log had a built in running timer, life would be perfect (apparently their windows app has timer but haven't used the app yet).

BS2 probably has some similar feature but I am unable to find it. I'd appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

When you 'copy to brew log', BS2 does create a copy of the recipe in the brew log folder. You can then enter the brew day data, fill in any other information under the 'notes' block, which is free form. There are blocks to fill out for the volumes, gravity readings, etc. on the mash tab, fermentation tab, and the Vols tab.

In terms of marking down times, etc. I print out a 'brew steps' report and mark actual amounts, volumes, timing, readings and measurements on the hard copy sheets. I later transfer information that I deem critical to the recipe in the brew log folder. If I later make changes to the master file for that recipe, it will not affect the historical information contained under the copy in the brew log folder.

Not having used BF in many years, I don't recall the feature as being much different.

In the end, use the program which makes the most sense to you. This is a case where there is no wrong answer, just one that fits your needs better.

Thanks for the info. I think then the brewlog feature of BF is definitely my preferred choice. Many a times I used to forget to add the whirlifloc. With the step by step check-off in their brewlog I do not!
I also like the archiving of all this log automatically with a particular brew as opposed to doing it on a piece of paper then back entering it in free form notes.
If you haven't tried it in a while, give it a shot. In short, it does the following.
1. When you click "Brew" on a recipe, it archives a snapshot of that recipe (but still maintains a relationship to the master recipe).
2. It creates a finely detailed step-by-step procedure for the entire recipe. The steps automatically compute specific details like weights, volumes of water, temperatures, duration etc.
3. I check off each step as I follow this and it automatically logs it.
4. It allows to record output volumes and based on that analyzes if there is a deviation from your equipment profile.
5. Allows you to keep logging the process through fermentation and all the way to kegging/bottling. Tracks your attenuation and abv.
6. All of this "templatized" recorded data allows me to analyze subtle differences between multiple brews of same recipe to figure out what changes may have caused what effect in the end output.

As you said, each person has their own preferences. No software is still perfect so each of us creates their own added procedures to overcome these shortcomings and eventually we get so used to them that it becomes a second nature.

I see almost nothing you have listed which is not in BeerSmith. The step by step additions during boil and mashing are in the timer function, which alerts you what and when to add at the next step. I'm not sure what connection exists between the archived copy and the brew day copy, but when I update my profiles for equipment, mash, or fermentation, it only affects the recipe that I am working in and not any other copies of that recipe. It does sound like there may be a bit more feedback calculations in BF than in BS.

having only used beersmith mobile and the free version of brewers friend and reading this thread it seems both are comparible with some differences, some minor, some major... but it really comes down to what you prefer and like. for me personally i think i'm leaning more towards brewers friend just because i don't have a computer at home anymore and it seems like brewers friend i can use on my phone easier than beersmith, yes in the long run it may cost more than beersmith but your paying for storage space and program vs just program with storage space on your computer....

yes in the long run it may cost more than beersmith but your paying for storage space and program vs just program with storage space on your computer....

Not true, Beersmith has a Cloud feature that you can save your recipes to. So whereas BF you are paying continuously for both the program and the "storage", with BS2 it's a one time payment and that's it.

Over the last couple of months, I keep coming back to and using Brewersfriend more and more. I still use BS2, and still run all my recipes through both programs. However, I'm starting to rely more and put more of my focus in BF. I know they both pretty much offer the same capabilities, but I'm finding BF easier to use and love the log entry layout. I just find it more user friendly for my needs. I also like the way it operates entirely on "the cloud". I can access everything on any device I own without separate programs and apps which is a huge + for me. I do realize over the long run, BS is cheaper, but dropping $10 a year or less than $20 for 2, is worth not having to use a windows based pc any longer. I've gone almost entirely Chromebook for just about everything these days and only use a windows pc, well, very rarely anymore. These days, my pc collects mostly dust and bugs it seems and I find myself entering everything to the BS app via tablet...which lacks a bit from the pc version, but so much more convenient IMO.
One size does not fit all, but I find BF to operate much more seamlessly, especially over all devices which is a huge, huge + in my book. Cloud based programs are where it's at for me these days. I've become very spoiled not having to use pc's.

Not true, Beersmith has a Cloud feature that you can save your recipes to. So whereas BF you are paying continuously for both the program and the "storage", with BS2 it's a one time payment and that's it.

actually BS only gives room for 15 recipes on their cloud for free then you have to pay more to store more recipes vs BF your paying for unlimited recipe storage and program. the closest BS cloud has to unlimited storage is 750 for $70 for 2yrs

really comes down to do you want to have unlimited storage on your computer or on-line (cloud)

Over the last couple of months, I keep coming back to and using Brewersfriend more and more. I still use BS2, and still run all my recipes through both programs. However, I'm starting to rely more and put more of my focus in BF. I know they both pretty much offer the same capabilities, but I'm finding BF easier to use and love the log entry layout. I just find it more user friendly for my needs. I also like the way it operates entirely on "the cloud". I can access everything on any device I own without separate programs and apps which is a huge + for me. I do realize over the long run, BS is cheaper, but dropping $10 a year or less than $20 for 2, is worth not having to use a windows based pc any longer. I've gone almost entirely Chromebook for just about everything these days and only use a windows pc, well, very rarely anymore. These days, my pc collects mostly dust and bugs it seems and I find myself entering everything to the BS app via tablet...which lacks a bit from the pc version, but so much more convenient IMO.
One size does not fit all, but I find BF to operate much more seamlessly, especially over all devices which is a huge, huge + in my book. Cloud based programs are where it's at for me these days. I've become very spoiled not having to use pc's.

the other thing i'm really draw to on-line programs for is i don't have a computer anymore at home just my smart phone. i have BS mobile and BF mobile but honestly not crazy about either app, i find them annoying and clumsy.....especially the fact of BS needing to save a copy with putting a date in the new name to separate brew from master copy. were if i can access a webpage on my phone and have full features instead of limited ones via app... i'm all for that!!

Back