Beersmith 2 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerfly

Reaction score
Hello all,

In my equipment entries I have 1.25 gallon loss for trub at the end of my boil. If I change it to no loss it changes the amount of wort I start with. Understandable but why does it not change my final gravity? Lets say I make it some ridiculous amount say 10 gallons lost to trub, it would have me sparge 10 more gallons to make up for the loss and not change my gravity estimates. Thoughts?

It does not change your OG because of the way the model operates. It calculates the gravity based upon the brew house efficiency you put into the equipment profile. This is the percentage of the grist potential which will make it to the fermenter. A change in the process losses does not affect this calculation.

^ yep. ^
watch your mash effeciency change as you change that number while leaving your brew house effeciency constant.
after you get your process volumes dialed, adjust your BH effeciency to get your mash effeciency where you want it (lined up with reality).

Back