Beersmith 2 Batch Size Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenFitness

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 5 gallon system, and I am curious how to adjust a 10 gallon recipe in Beersmith 2 to 5 gallons? I've tried in the past and ended up with very watery beer, so I know I'm doing something wrong. Help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Set up or select an equipment profile for ten gallon batches. Then go to your recipe & click on the scale batch button and change to the ten gal profile & it should adjust your ingredients accordingly.
I have noticed that it will default to a 60 min boil so you may have to change that in your recipe if it calls for a different boil time.

As govner1 alluded to having a proper profile configured is key, which means your efficiency, boil rate, volume losses, etc. Then what I do is just enter the ingredients exactly as the recipe states. Use the OG slider adjust to scale to the recipe's OG, and the IBU slider to scale the IBU's. I usually tweak the results to more even ounces or pounds.

Is it a recipe already in BeerSmith or which can be imported? If so, then you can use the 'scale recipe' function to bring the amounts and efficiency scaled to any size you want. When you click the button to scale the recipe, change the equipment profile to your standard (or desired) equipment set up. Make sure you have the boxes clicked for match original recipe color and bitterness, change the standard batch size if different from your standard equipment profile and then allow BeerSmith to do the work for you.

Back