Beers in England/France

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsyoung

Reaction score
I'm traveling to Paris and London in a few weeks for vacation and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on beers I need to try. I'm not too hopeful about the Paris selection but I'm sure there are some English beers I need to try or even some bottles to bring back. Anyone have suggestions??

Thanks I def will...and I'm sure nothing will be cheap in Paris

With the EU, you shouldn't have any trouble finding good beers from other countries in the event the local French ones don't suit your taste. I was in Nice last year and found a few good Belgians on tap in pubs, not to mention the HUGE selection of bottled Euro beers in the local supermarkets.

For London, check out this thread from a few weeks back: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/what-beer-can-you-get-england-london-you-cant-get-here-415971/

I'm English and spend quite a bit if time in London for one reason or another. I can recommend visiting the Euston Tap outside Euston Station if you get the chance, it's a pretty cool bar and they have a great selection!

Obviously you need to get a proper pint of London Pride somewhere, otherwise why bother going?. But other than that, check out The Kernel - they make some great beer. Meantime are pretty widely available now and generally good. Basically everything I said in the previous thread!

There's a lot of pubs selling proper beer now, so wherever you're staying you should be able to find a good place.

Many years ago I visited France and liked the 1664. May not be the same today.

Nope, it's definitely not the same. It's widely available in the UK and while it's certainly drinkable and a bit better than the really cheap stuff (that's Carling, Carlsberg and Foster's for us, probably about the equivalent of your BMC I guess), it's still not great.

I've had it loads of times in France and didn't notice it being any different to the UK.

What makes beer wonderful in the UK is pub culture. Check out www.fancyapint.com for recommendations of great pubs. Find a pub, ask the bar man for a pint of his best, and go from there. Make friends. Pubs are great.

Most of the best English beers are real ales, on draught only. If there are bottled versions they are a different.

Two of my favorite pubs are the Bunch of Grapes near Harrod's, roughly across the road from the Victoria and Albert, and the Churchill Arms in South Kensington. Also you must try Ye Old Cheshire Cheese just off the Strand in the City. It was already ancient when Dickens drank there and they have Sam Smith ales straight from Yorkshire.

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to do some research in the days to come. Now I have somewhere to start. Thanks!

I'm doing London/Paris in September so this thread is perfect for me too - hope to hear more! Can anyone recommend any great bottles to pick up that would be tough to find in the states...bonus points for anything bottle conditioned that I can swipe a yeast culture from.

Back