Beergas Tank with Male Threads (CGA 320)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedon986

Reaction score
Hi all,

My fiance bought me a beergas blend tank for Christmas to set up a nitro tap. I had the regulator prior to Christmas (female threaded, CGA 580). I went to connect the two yesterday and realized the beer gas tank has a CGA 320 outlet while the regulator has a CGA 580 connection. I called the shop (LHBS) and he said all their beergas tanks are threaded as such and that it is the most common 'in this area'. He also said the beergas regulators they carry have the connections to fit the 320. I have done pretty extensive searching and have not found a beergas reguator with a 320 connection.

Should I buy one of his regulators or should I return the tank and buy one from somewhere else? I am thinking I would rather keep the regulator with the 580 connection and find a tank that suits it. Is it really common as he says that a beergas tank will be male threaded like this???

CGA 580 is used for inerts: nitrogen, helium, argon. CGA 320 is used for CO2. Since this is a blend of nitrogen and CO2 it seems like you can pick which connection.

If the tank has a CGA320 output it means it can be used with a standard CO2 regulator assuming the pressure rating is OK. If you bought a CGA 580 regulator, you can just pull off the CGA nipple/nut and replace it with a CGA 320. The LHBS should sell them for a couple bucks, just make sure you match the threading on the NPT end as some regulators use left-hand threads.

The brass CGA connection should have some flats at the end that can be used to unscrew it. Just clean the threads and tape up the new fitting before it goes in. I had a leaky connection where my CGA 320 nipple went into my regulator that couldn't be fixed, $3 and 5 minutes later and it was all set.

Alternatively, you can buy something like this:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#7923a13/=111wu9x

Back