Beer Trade Etiquette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenal610

Reaction score
I was just wondering how beer trades usually work(money,sending it out, what's a good number of bottles to send out etc.)

Is it legal to mail beer in the States?

What other advice can you give me when it comes to beer trading?

Any help would be great!
Thanks.

It is illegal to mail alcohol through USPS. However, you can mail it through UPS or FedEx. I wouldn't broadcast it though because, while it's not illegal through their services, they're not too keen on it.

I've done a couple trades through Beer Advocate, and they've all gone well. I've typically thrown in a couple extras into the box. Don't go overboard with that though if you choose to.

Make sure you pack the box with caution though.

UPS will confiscate it if they find out about it. I would recommend setting a fixed price that both parties agree to, buy that much beer and send it to each other so you won't have to worry about cash changing hands. Highly recommend wrapping each container individually and close it all up in a plastic bag so if it does break, it won't leak out into the box and get detected by the shipper.

I just did this for the first time...

1. Ship your "Live Yeast Cultures" or "Cooking Sauce" through UPS or FedEX

2. Wrap each bottle in bubble wrap, then tape all the bottles into one mass so they can't clink together. Then place upright in box marked "Fragile, This Side Up", and pack the crap out of it with bubble wrap, newspaper, whatever.

3. On the trade side, we just set a budget, and asked for any specific preferences.

Worked out great!

I have a buddy who has done numerous trades through Beer Advocate. I don't believe he has ever had a problem, and it has resulted in the both of us getting to try beers we would never had gotten to try locally. Even if you don't do your trade through BA, it might be a good place to research etiquette and packaging tips.

Back