Beer to Serve at Home Event - Seeking Experienced Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
We're planning a gathering at our house for June to celebrate our adult daughter getting her bachelors degree. We estimate there will be ~ 50 people.

I am planning to serve my homebrew using a portable kegerator with 3-4 taps.

I'm not sure what styles of beers to serve and wanted to get some opinions from folks that have held similar get togethers..... What do most folks like to drink?

I'm planning to serve, at least:
1) BierMuncher's Cream of 3 Crops
2) Hefeweizen

an IPA on site (in my Keezer) for the folks that like IPA's.

What else should I have or replace, etc?

We'll have wine as well for the non-beer drinkers. (They really exist?)

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Crowds unfamiliar with our ways usually go for an IPA/Pale Ale, Belgian Wit, Hefe, and fruit beer. Cream ale or Blonde ales are a good neutral pick as well. Looks like you've got it covered.

I'd have to agree with poerterpounder. It looks like you have it covered pretty well. I served my homebrew at our first kids baby shower, it was co-ed, and I had a pale ale and a kumquat wheat ale. Both went over very well. I'd think if you had a hoppy beer and a light beer you'd be fine but you have even more taps than that so you will definitely be all good.
If it were me I'd have a pale ale, blonde ale, amber ale, and a wheat ale of some sort.

Good luck!

I was thinking this might be a nice one to have for the "Blonde Ale" category. Haven't tried it yet.

Squeeze My Lemon Summer Blonde

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=532107

You've sort of got that (without lemon) with the cream ale.

I'd go with one fizzy yellow beer (the cream ale is a good one), an IPA or hoppy APA, an American amber (Fat Tire-ish maybe), and then one wheat beer (I hate hefeweizen, but that is probably a good choice with the others).

I think a fruity blonde OR a cream ale would be good, but not both. Instead of the hefeweizen, you could do a watermelon wheat if you wanted a fruity beer.

A simple 2-row SMaSH is an easy solution for a broad-appeal, easy-drinking beer. I know the simplicity and low complexity of it make it kind of boring from the brewer's perspective, but these same traits are actually positives to unadventurous beer drinkers who are scared of homebrew/craft. I was serving my 2-row SMaSH over the weekend and people were inhaling it, even though it was hampered by my using untreated tap water to make it.

With two light beers and an IPA, I'd think a dark beer (even though it's summer) would catch the rest of the crowd. I frequently find that a nice porter or oatmeal stout is a favorite on non-hardcore beer drinkers.

Fat Tire clone would be a good choice also.

I think tossing a nice APA in there could be a good idea. But I do agree with covering the spectrum. Lighter cream or blonde, wheaty, hoppy and I would fill the 4th with a slightly bigger beer that isnt a total hop bomb. Maybe a SNPA clone? Even my BMC "friends" will drink/enjoy their pale ale

Ive done a few events like weddings and stuff. The selection you want kinda depends on whether there will be other stuff served (BMC, wine, cocktails) or whether its all up to you. This is what I had for my last one
- pale ale
- fruity hefeweizen
- saison
- hoppy wheat

I also brought a dozen or so of some other stuff like stouts, porters, IPAs, belgians, sours, etc that I didnt think would be as popular. The saison went out very quick. If there are going to be people that prefer wine and there isnt wine to be had, you NEED a saison or other easy drinking belgian beer. I cant stress this enough. Every time I hear "oh I dont really like beer" I just give them one of those and its never failed

First let me say thank you for all the advice folks.

You've sort of got that (without lemon) with the cream ale.
OK, cool.
I'd go with one fizzy yellow beer (the cream ale is a good one), an IPA or hoppy APA, an American amber (Fat Tire-ish maybe), and then one wheat beer (I hate hefeweizen, but that is probably a good choice with the others).

So far, I've never lconnected with Fat Tire. Of course, this isn'e about me but just stating for the record. Is there another one in the Amber Ale category or is Fat Tire the popular winner? I really love Lagunita's Censored but not sure how others would take to it.

What's an example of a good wheat beer?

Instead of the hefeweizen, you could do a watermelon wheat if you wanted a fruity beer.

My wife loves a Hefe with good banana notes. (Me too!). I can't give that one up. Watermelon wheat sounds pretty yummy. Is it real sweet? Not a fan of real sweet fruit beers. Can you point me to a recipe you like?

A simple 2-row SMaSH is an easy solution for a broad-appeal, easy-drinking beer. I know the simplicity and low complexity of it make it kind of boring from the brewer's perspective, but these same traits are actually positives to unadventurous beer drinkers who are scared of homebrew/craft. I was serving my 2-row SMaSH over the weekend and people were inhaling it, even though it was hampered by my using untreated tap water to make it.

Well come on man, share that recipe?!! :mug:

With two light beers and an IPA, I'd think a dark beer (even though it's summer) would catch the rest of the crowd. I frequently find that a nice porter or oatmeal stout is a favorite on non-hardcore beer drinkers.

Fat Tire clone would be a good choice also.

I was thinking of a Porter but was concerned it might be too heavy, I have a Coconut Porter recipe in Beersmith that I was planning for my next brew (and first porter) but now I'm not sure.

I think tossing a nice APA in there could be a good idea. But I do agree with covering the spectrum. Lighter cream or blonde, wheaty, hoppy and I would fill the 4th with a slightly bigger beer that isnt a total hop bomb. Maybe a SNPA clone? Even my BMC "friends" will drink/enjoy their pale ale

What's one of your favorite wheat beer's and what's "SNPA"?

Ive done a few events like weddings and stuff. The selection you want kinda depends on whether there will be other stuff served (BMC, wine, cocktails) or whether its all up to you. This is what I had for my last one
- pale ale
- fruity hefeweizen
- saison
- hoppy wheat

I also brought a dozen or so of some other stuff like stouts, porters, IPAs, belgians, sours, etc that I didnt think would be as popular. The saison went out very quick. If there are going to be people that prefer wine and there isnt wine to be had, you NEED a saison or other easy drinking belgian beer. I cant stress this enough. Every time I hear "oh I dont really like beer" I just give them one of those and its never failed

What's a good Saison? I'm not very experienced with drinking saison's. My very first brew was a saison (extract) and it wasn't very good so I can't go by that. And perhaps an "easy drinking Belgian", can you point to one for me?

Thanks!

What's one of your favorite wheat beer's and what's "SNPA"?

Im a sucker for all things weihenstephaner so i would recommend something like that or the Sierra Nevada Kellerweis is amazing,

My bad on that one, SNPA is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

I know its not beer, but an apfelwein/hard cider is generally well received especially with the younger crowds, in my experience.

Seems to be like an IPA, fizzy yellow beer, hefe/wheat, and cider would be a good lineup for June. Have fun. Cheers!

Im a sucker for all things weihenstephaner so i would recommend something like that or the Sierra Nevada Kellerweis is amazing,

My bad on that one, SNPA is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

I'll check those out. I've tried quite a few SN beers and liked them all.

I know its not beer, but an apfelwein/hard cider is generally well received especially with the younger crowds, in my experience.

Seems to be like an IPA, fizzy yellow beer, hefe/wheat, and cider would be a good lineup for June. Have fun. Cheers!

Funny you mention that, I've been meaning to try apfelwein and thought about doing a batch this weekend. Why not! Just mix it up and let it set. I've got a 5 gallon PET carboy I'm not using so might as well, right?

Your question has been answered but I'm doing similar for a stag do. I've got a munich helles for easy drinking, APA for flavoursome beer, northern english mild for the darks, and a sweet cider. It might be a NZ thing but a full on IPA probably wouldn't get finished but APA more approachable and cream ales are too bland. I'd consider an American wheat - there's a good recipe in the recipe section.

Can't stand hefeweisen but people seem to like it.

I was thinking of a Porter but was concerned it might be too heavy, I have a Coconut Porter recipe in Beersmith that I was planning for my next brew (and first porter) but now I'm not sure.

One thing to consider is the time (of day) of the party. If it stretches into night, or is an indoor event, dark beers still work great in the summer. Outdoors in the heat of the sun? Stay light for sure. At least around here it still dips into the 40's at night and those porters sure do warm you up!

:tank:

Watermelon wheat:

This recipe: this basic recipe - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21227 plus two cups of pureed watermelon in secondary. That was about the amount of flesh of one medium round watermelon.

It's not sweet, and it's the only wheat beer (or fruit beer) that I like. You can change up the hops if you don't have glacier hops.

I mentioned Fat Tire-ish because it's not overly hoppy, or malty, but still has some flavor and is a good gateway to craft beer. And if there is any left, it's pretty decent as a summer beer for yourself.

I'm not a Belgian beer fan at all, particularly light bodied ones, and I dislike most saisons, so I'm no help there!

Funny you mention that, I've been meaning to try apfelwein and thought about doing a batch this weekend. Why not! Just mix it up and let it set. I've got a 5 gallon PET carboy I'm not using so might as well, right?

I always have some made or in process for the non beer drinkers in my life. Hell even my beer drinking buddies like the stuff since its refreshing and potent and not sweet like the commercial stuff. 5 gallons of apple juice with no preservatives, 2 lbs of light brown sugar, some yeast nutrient and 2 packs of champagne yeast makes a nice and dry and refreshing apfelwein that packs an 8+% punch. The fact that its a 20 minute process is nice too!

Watermelon wheat:

This recipe: this basic recipe - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21227 plus two cups of pureed watermelon in secondary. That was about the amount of flesh of one medium round watermelon.

It's not sweet, and it's the only wheat beer (or fruit beer) that I like. You can change up the hops if you don't have glacier hops.
!

Is a secondary required/important?

Is a secondary required/important?

No. I did primary only and added watermelon juice straight to keg while cold to avoid fermentation restart.

I did 6 cups of watermelon juice and it was too much, although others liked it. Doing it again, I'd go for 4 cups like a lot of folks in that thread recommend.

You never said if there was any food....you might want to consider at least some pairing. I do three "events" a year at various fundraisers and try to find out what is being served to at least get the idea of food/beer pairing out there for people.

I think your original plan was pretty much on target. Cream Ale always seems to work with those that "don't like beer," especially when I add vanilla beans to it:).

And I'm like Yooper's tastes...Belgians...:eek: saisons.....:(

I think your original plan was pretty much on target. Cream Ale always seems to work with those that "don't like beer," especially when I add vanilla beans to it:).

This.

I did two beers for a wedding last summer, one being an IPA and a vanilla cream ale and I was told by the bartenders that the kegs kicked at the same exact time. So it wasnt like one was more preferred

It might be a NZ thing but a full on IPA probably wouldn't get finished but APA more approachable and cream ales are too bland.

Oddly my big IPAs seem to be the favourite amongst those who don't drink a lot of beer. Pliny and grapefruit sculpin clones in particular were very popular over summer.

Vanilla beans huh? Hmmm ��

Oh ya! Crack em open and toss them in at the end of the boil and do a tincture for the fermenter/keg. So tasty

I dont know where you live/if they distribute to you, but if you can get ahold of Cali Creamin from Mother Earth Brewing, youll know what Im talking about

Some favorites that I have brewed that appeal to others are

Honey Wheat:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=470698&styleid=12&styleid=12

Janet's Brown Ale (Original from Tasty):
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=&t=18509

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 16.00
Anticipated OG: 1.066 Plato: 16.20
Anticipated SRM: 19.3
Anticipated IBU: 63.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
75.0 12.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
7.8 1.25 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
7.8 1.25 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
6.3 1.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
3.1 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 6.50 19.0 Mash H
1.25 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 6.50 30.8 60 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 6.50 6.6 15 min.
1.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 6.8 10 min.
1.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 0.0 0 min.
2.00 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast

And I just (20 minutes ago) bottled Brulosopher's Munich Helles... very tasty from a warm un-carbed stand point:

http://brulosophy.com/recipes/munich-helles/

I just posted a similar reply in a different thread.

My go to brew, lately, has been a Belgian Wit Hoegaarden clone.

Whenever I take it somewhere, all I bring home are empty bottles or kegs. Whenever the bash is at my house, it is the first tap to run dry.

Easy, light, doesn't need to age (although I've found it doesn't hurt to age, either.
Win-win.

I just posted a similar reply in a different thread.

My go to brew, lately, has been a Belgian Wit Hoegaarden clone.

Whenever I take it somewhere, all I bring home are empty bottles or kegs. Whenever the bash is at my house, it is the first tap to run dry.

Easy, light, doesn't need to age (although I've found it doesn't hurt to age, either.
Win-win.

Sounds delicious but I'm not ready to take on a stepped mash. Do you mash with single infusion?

I vote for something simple and delicious like a ESB or a Scottish 80 shilling, maybe a good Irish red ale. Something with good flavor and around 5-6% ABV that won't scare people off.

Vanilla beans huh? Hmmm 🤔

Yep...fresh crop every year from Veracruz, Mexico(2nd largest producer in the world to Madagascar)....store sells them and I use a lot of them in the Cream Ales I do for the charity events. Mine don't crack since they are vacuum sealed fresh:D

Sounds delicious but I'm not ready to take on a stepped mash. Do you mash with single infusion?

I recently had the Brewer's Best extract kit for Belgian Wit. I don't like Belgians or wheat style beers much.....but I could easily see a multitude enjoying that beer....and it's extract so it's easy.

I often do some extract kits for events because 1) I'm not trying to impress a bunch of people that may not know much about beer period (which in my area is common) and 2) time is precious for my own beer to drink and 3) the kits make good beer.

I nice English brown ale, lightly hopped is also a crowd pleaser. I once brewed a 3% ABV brown ale with Goldings hops that went very well with the non-craft crowd.

Yep...fresh crop every year from Veracruz, Mexico(2nd largest producer in the world to Madagascar)....store sells them and I use a lot of them in the Cream Ales I do for the charity events. Mine don't crack since they are vacuum sealed fresh:D

How much do you add to a batch?

Each year it varies because of the harvest and size of the beans but generally 2 for 5 gallons works....no boil, just split and secondary and let them go in the keg!

Back